Q. Is it safe to use Oflox OZ in an infant for severe loose stools?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
Published on Dec 03, 2017

My kid is 11 months old and he had more than 20 loose motions in one day today. He has never had this kind of a severe problem. In his bad days, he might have had 10 motions but they were not as loose and watery as today. He is currently on Taxim O, Sporlac, and Enterogermina. Is it safe to use Oflox OZ for him? Please let me know the dosage as well.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

• The probable cause is acute diarrhea.
  • Use of Oflox OZ (Ofloxacin and Ornidazole) is safe. But, this is not required in the care of diarrhea unless it is complicated.
  • The treatment plan is:
  1. ORS (oral rehydration salts) 100 mL per loose stool.
  2. Zinc syrup 5 mL once a day. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent.
  3. Continue normal diet.
  4. Visit the nearest pediatrician.
  5. Watch for dehydration and urine output.
  • With regards to follow up, review back as per your requirement.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Why am I having diarrhea following constipation for a long time?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a slightly upset stomach with bloating for the past four months. I thought I had a bug. Two weeks later, it seemed much better. However, my bowel movements did not return to normal. I had mostly constipation for about a month (even though my stomach did not feel as upset anym...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your history fits into the acid peptic disease. I do not find any sign of cancer over here (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would recommend you the following. A combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone once daily for a few days. A good probiotic, t...  Read Full

My son throws up every time he has milk. Please suggest a treatment.

Query: Hello doctor, My son is three and a half years old. From the past 12 days, he vomits four or five minutes after drinking milk. This happens only in the mornings. He is fine if he drinks it at night. Please suggest a cure.  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest the following medicines: Syrup Oflomac-M (a combination of Ofloxacin and Metronidazole), 4 ml three times a day for three days to be taken half an hour after meals. Syrup Ondem (Ondansetron) 4 ml three times a day for three days to be taken half an hour befo...  Read Full

Cow's milk does not seem to suit my 1 year old baby. What can I give her instead?

Query: Hello doctor, Our baby girl is about 1 year and one month old. We just started giving cow milk two days back. A packet of A2 unpasteurized milk was bought, boiled and cooled down. We gave about 300 ml per day once. Her motion looks affected a little. It is not solid. At night, she suddenly started c...  Read Full >>

Dr. Preeti Puranik
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Unpasteurized milk is not advisable to be given, as pasteurization is required to kill all the bacteria or germs in the milk. I think the baby does have some issues with cow milk and is crying due to colic (abdominal pain). Formula milk (any stage 3) is always better t...  Read Full