Q. Is it safe to use Oflox OZ in an infant for severe loose stools?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

My kid is 11 months old and he had more than 20 loose motions in one day today. He has never had this kind of a severe problem. In his bad days, he might have had 10 motions but they were not as loose and watery as today. He is currently on Taxim O, Sporlac, and Enterogermina. Is it safe to use Oflox OZ for him? Please let me know the dosage as well.

#

• The probable cause is acute diarrhea.
  • Use of Oflox OZ (Ofloxacin and Ornidazole) is safe. But, this is not required in the care of diarrhea unless it is complicated.
  • The treatment plan is:
  1. ORS (oral rehydration salts) 100 mL per loose stool.
  2. Zinc syrup 5 mL once a day. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent.
  3. Continue normal diet.
  4. Visit the nearest pediatrician.
  5. Watch for dehydration and urine output.
  • With regards to follow up, review back as per your requirement.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|