Q. Which is the best diet for someone with thalassemia major?

Dr. Smrita Singh

I am a patient of thalassemia major. My first blood transfusion was four months ago. There was no need for blood transfusion before that. I have no idea about my disease and now my blood transfusion has reached a count of eight times, meaning eight units in the last three months. I checked three different hematologists and they suggested me different things. So, I am confused. What can I do now? I stopped my blood transfusion last month and my blood level is automatically going up or down. Which is the best diet for maintenance of iron and to increase my blood level?

#

In thalassemia major, there is a defect in the production of normal hemoglobin. This affects the oxygen-carrying capacity of the hemoglobin since it is defective.

Regular blood transfusions and iron chelation therapy to prevent iron overload is the main treatment. You are not iron deficient and do not require supplementation. You are receiving the recommended treatment and you must accept the fact that you will require blood transfusions for the rest of your life.

A balanced diet with adequate amount of protein is enough.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|