Q. How long does it take for hemoglobin to improve after blood transfusion?

Published on Aug 01, 2018

I did my blood test. The hemoglobin is astonishingly low at 4.1. I did ferritin test and B12 test and the results are attached. Blood transfusion was done - one bottle. The hemoglobin increase to 5.5, but again reduced to 5.1. I have a fever on and off. What problem do I have? I am feeling very weak. How long will the treatment go on?

Hematology Pathology
#

Your hemoglobin level is very low. In low hemoglobin state, the oxygen-carrying capacity of blood is affected and so weakness and other symptoms occur. You need to be given blood transfusion or iron injections.

But, your ferritin level is high. So hemolytic anemia has to be ruled out first.

For low B12 level, cyanocobalamin injections are to be given once a week for eight weeks.

You need further investigations with peripheral smear examination report, serum LDH, serum bilirubin estimation, etc.

Consult a nearby physician for physical examination and accordingly discuss your treatment plan.

Hope this will help you.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

How to evaluate the reason for low hemoglobin?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 76 years old. She is diabetic and on medication for around 15 years. She is suffering from typhoid fever. Her hemoglobin level is low at 6. She is also very weak to walk on her own for the past few days. Kindly suggest some advice.  Read Full »

Can raw rice addiction result in low hemoglobin?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from low hemoglobin levels. I have attached my laboratory test report. I have a habit of eating raw rice, which I am suspecting as the reason for this low count. Kindly have a look and prescribe medicines to increase my hemoglobin levels. I am currently taking Orofer XT one...  Read Full »

I got myself tested as I had a blood transfusion before six years. Please explain my report.

Query: Hi doctor, I had myself tested because I have had a blood transfusion before six years and visit many hospitals for my job. I have no symptoms. I just went to the laboratory and did not understand my results. Can you interpret them for me? Also, can you explain the cut-off value? Thank you.  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now