Q. Why do I have problem in bending forward?

Dr. Lokesh
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I injured my lower back while squatting about one and a half month back. I have difficulty in bending backwards. A sharp pain was felt when I used to bend backward. But, no pain in forward bending or sideway bending. Neither any pain was felt on touching the region. So, I started physiotherapy and the situation is improving. Recently, when I was playing badminton again I felt the similar pain whenever I tried to bend backward. So, I consulted a doctor. He viewed my x-ray report and said there is no such problem in it. He advised me to stay away from sports for the next 10 days. But, the pain has worsened now. I feel pain in a different region that is just above the right hip. The pain is felt on touching that part and now I have even problem in bending forward. Even sitting increases the pain now. Standing and walking makes it better. As advised by the doctor I regularly do muscle strengthening and stretching exercises, but no improvement can be seen. Please help.

#

The x-ray is not very clear (attachment removed to protect patient identity), but your pain will surely reduce. So, do not worry.

• Just take the following tablets and few precautions. Regular follow up is the keystone to treating and reducing low back pain permanently.

Instructions to reduce back pain:

1. Avoid lifting heavy weights.
  2. Avoid arching your back. Instead bend your knees to pick up something from the floor.
  3. Avoid sitting for long hours and two wheeler rides.
  4. Improve your posture while sitting. Try to get up from your chair every 20 minutes and take a quick walk around and then continue working.
  5. Always sit on a chair with back support.
  6. If you have severe pain, take bed rest. Do not get up suddenly from a sleeping position. Rather, turn to the side and then get up.
  7. Do hot fomentations locally over the affected area for at least twice daily.
  8. Apply Oxalgin gel (combination of Diclofenac sodium, Methyl salicylate and Menthol) twice daily.
  • Take tablet Pregabalin 75 mg once a day at night for 15 days before food at 7 PM every day.
  • Tablet Etoricoxib 60 mg in the morning and night for 10 days after food and Pantoprazole 40 mg at night for 10 days before food.
  • Tablet Shelcal-OS 500 mg (combination of Calcium carbonate organic source and Alfacalcidol) to be taken in the morning and night for 30 days before food.
  • Tablet D-Shine 60 k (Cholecalciferol) once daily for 10 days and then take it once a month for 11 months. Take these tablets only if you are not allergic to them.
  • Do physiotherapy, McKenzie back extension exercises, back core strengthening exercises, Glute strengthening exercises and passive straight leg raising exercises.
  • These exercises can be done initially under a supervision of a physiotherapist or learn to do it at home. Only regular exercises can give results.
  • Once the pain got reduced, then you can do swimming, yoga and walking as these activities will benefit you. But jogging, running and weight lifting may aggravate back problems.
  • This professional advice provided by me stands subject to the actual examination of report or images and is based entirely on inputs provided to me. It should be correlated with clinical findings before starting the treatment.

Facet pain - lumbar spine.

Revert back after five days to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|