Q. I have difficulty to concentrate with excessive mood swings and voluntary leg shaking. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 13, 2020

Hello doctor,

I have trouble concentrating. It feels like my mind is always in a thousand different places at once and it is hard to keep in it one place or thought. I have excessive moods and sway from one thing to next all the time. I also have a constant voluntary shaking of my leg. I need something to help concentrate.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

How long have you been having trouble with concentration, mood swings, and restless legs? There are several different possible reasons that can cause these symptoms.

For example, if these symptoms were present since childhood we may need to consider ADD/ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). If these symptoms started only recently, mood disorder, anxiety may be a possibility. You will need a comprehensive assessment to determine the cause so that appropriate treatment can be suggested. You can either consult a specialist in your city or contact us online for an assessment.

I hope this helps.

Thank you doctor,

I have had the symptoms since I was 13 years old as I can remember. Please let me know what assessment is needed.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Your symptoms appear to be longstanding and will need a proper assessment including history of presenting complaints, mental state examination and collateral information from your parents and family to clarify the early development.

Usually, ADHD symptoms start before 12 years. If you did not have any symptoms in primary school ADHD appears less likely. Check with your parents about how you managed primary school. It will help to complete this adult ADHD self-report scale. This will give an idea of whether ADHD appears to be explored further.

Other conditions like mood disorder and anxiety disorder can be clarified during an assessment either face-to-face with a specialist in your city or phone/video consultation through icliniq. Sometimes blood tests and physical examination may be advised as well.

I hope this helps.

Thank you doctor,

So do I fill this questionnaire up?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Yes, this questionnaire is like a screening tool for ADHD at your age. If you score high and your parents report similar problems in your childhood developmental history, it will be worthwhile to explore for ADHD. If the questionnaire does not reflect your difficulties there is no need for specialist assessment for ADHD.

As mentioned earlier, other conditions like mood disorder and anxiety disorder can be assessed either face-to-face with a psychiatry specialist in your city or phone/video consultation through icliniq. Sometimes if conditions like anemia is suspected blood test and physical examination may be needed in which case you will be advised to have further assessment.

Besides having a specialist assessment, yoga is advisable as it will help with your symptoms.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
How to overcome my mood swings and change my behavior?

, can be used for depression and anxiety ... Regular use of these drugs will help to reduce anxiety and depression symptoms ...   Read full

What Is ADHD and How Is It Managed?

I have met several people, including some doctors, who are skeptical about ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and question the sudden rise in the number of young people being diagnosed with this condition .....   Read full

Mediterranean Diet and ADHD Prevention

This article is a review of a study that showed how Mediterranean type of diet can influence ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Why do I have mood swings, hot flushes and low mood around my periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old female. I have a diagnosis of autism. I have mood swings, feeling low/ depressed, which I do not know if it is related to my periods. People tend to notice more just before and during my periods (but also I do not know if it is partly frustration due to my living ci...  Read Full »

Can inguinal hernias lower testosterone levels and decrease ejaculate volume?

Query: Hello doctor, While having sex with my wife six months ago, I had a severe pain in my stomach, which seemed to have originated from my testicles. The pain has never happened again. I live a pretty much normal day to day life. Since then, I have noticed a decrease in semen volume considerably. Now, ...  Read Full »

Why have the feet and hands not grown in an 18 year old male?

Query: Hello doctor, Basically, my current height is 5 feet 7 inches, and I am 18 years old, for which my doctor said I am only taller than 25 % of my age group. I have not hit my second main growth spurt I believe. I have been growing really slowly over the years, even when I was 14 years old, I was not ...  Read Full »

Also Read

Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.