Q. Should I be worried about my central posterior disc herniation at C4-C5?

Dr. Aida Quka

For the past five months, I have been getting increasingly worse neurologically. A month ago, I finally received an MRI with frightening results. At C4-C5, a central posterior disc herniation indenting the ventral thecal sac and elevates the posterior longitudinal ligament. There is a zone of hyperintensity within the disc consistent with an annular fissure. There is mild spinal cord deformity. At C5-C6, there is disc bulging indenting the ventral thecal sac and elevating the posterior longitudinal ligament with mild spinal stenosis to 1 cm and mild spinal cord deformity. There is severe right neural foraminal narrowing. At C6-C7, there is disc bulging, indenting the ventral thecal sac and elevating the posterior longitudinal ligament. With mild spinal stenosis to 1 cm and mild spinal cord deformity. I have various symptoms at this point, including drop attacks (I think something is occluding an artery.), weakness in legs with pain, weakness in the right hand, headaches, imbalance, vertigo. I cannot get to see any doctor in person for another month. Should I be worried short-term?

#

Hello.

I passed carefully through your MRI report (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) and your question, and I suggest that your situation is not an emergency.

So, I think it can wait a couple of months until consulting with a spinal surgeon and discussing surgery.

As there is no severe spinal canal stenosis and no presence of cervical myelopathy, I think that it is not critical.

In the meantime, I suggest holding a cervical collar to help improve your situation and tablet Dimenhydrinate or tablet Meclizine for dizziness and vertigo.

The cervical collar will help reduce the nerve and spinal cord compression and improve spinal column stability.

I hope you will find this answer helpful.

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need me.

Kind regards.

|