Q. What can cause a bad back pain that radiates to the leg?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

I have had bad back pain radiating to my right leg for the last few months. My right leg is weaker than my left. Also, I have numbness and tingling sensation in my right leg. In addition, there is pulling pain from the lumbar region to the leg. I have gone for physiotherapy during the last two weeks, that had worsened the pain. I have used tablet Naproxen and Meloxicam, but they have not helped. I am not able to sit, walk, or sleep.

Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern and will surely help you out.

I have reviewed your attachments (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Your symptoms suggest a bulging disc in the vertebral column, causing radicular pain in this region. Your lumbar spine MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) has no serious findings. A bulging disc in the L4-L5 level may be responsible for some of your symptoms. However, there is nothing serious. I suggest you consult a neurologist and discuss about steroid injection in the lumbar spine if it is recommended based on physical examination and MRI. In the meantime, I do not recommend physiotherapy. I suggest bed rest and the tablet Meloxicam for ten days. Vitamin B complex, carnitine supplements, and Alpha Lipoic Acid can help improve muscle weakness.

I am relieved that it is nothing serious.

Thank you so much.

#

I suggest you consult a neurologist for a physical examination and to perform nerve conduction studies. In the meantime, I recommend continuing the therapy mentioned above.

Kind regards.

|