Q. I have herniated disc. Can I do deadlift exercise?

Dr. Lokesh
Published on Sep 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2019

Ten months back, I suffered from herniated disc. The pain was relieved after a month of rest. A week ago, I started gym again. Today, I did an exercise called deadlift with low weights. Now, I can again feel the tingling sensation in the same area though without any pain. Should I stop doing such exercise? Please suggest. I did not feel any sensation with other activities in the last one week. I take a healthy diet and try to keep the nutrition intact.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• Deadlift should be stopped and never done if you have a herniated disc.
  • You can do all exercises in the gym with weights wherein your spine goes in extension. You can do flexion exercises of the spine but without weights.
  • Sit with your back straight and do as many exercises as you can as this will eliminate direct excess load on the lumbar spine. Do not stand and lift weights from the floor.
  • Tingling is the start of nerve irritation, so give it some rest for a week.

Herniated lumbar disc.

For further doubts consult a general practitioner online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Thank you for your suggestion. Can I do squats with or without weight?

Dr. Lokesh

#

• Yes, squats can be done with weight provided you keep your back absolutely straight.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Can Thumb Twitching Be A Sign Of Cervical Disc Herniation Worsening?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old female with asthma. I have cervical disc herniation for 10 years. Over the past 5 months, symptoms were back with tingling, weakness and shooting pain in arms. I tried medications like Celebrex, Lyrica and also massage, physiotherapy, chiropractor and acupuncture, b...  Read Full >>

Dr. Tony Magana
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A herniated disc in the neck can cause three potential problems: Injury and degeneration of the disc can cause neck pain that is not related to nerve problems, and this is not usually a need for surgery. If the disc and bone spurring that form for long-standing prob...  Read Full

My cervix length is small. Can I do some exercise to get normal delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23-week pregnant with DCDA twin. My CL at week 19 was 28 mm and I was asked to take bed rest. Can I do any exercise because I prefer natural delivery? Currently, I am taking Progesterone tablets vaginally and also weekly Progesterone injection.  Read Full >>

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iclinq.com. Cervical length needs to be checked again at 24 weeks for further advice. In general, twin pregnancy has a tendency for preterm labor. Your focus right now should be on preventing preterm labor rather than normal delivery. For normal delivery to happen, you do not need t...  Read Full

Penis enlargement exercises led to swollen veins on my shaft. Please guide me.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a healthy 33 year old male. I have sex regularly and masturbate regularly. Over the years, I dabbled in penis enlargement exercises. I quit doing them a while back because I felt it was causing a damage to the penis. Recently, I used a cock ring, but for not more than ten minute...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the images sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If there is a pain of veins, especially when you touch them, or any signs of inflammation, only then it is a thrombophlebitis of veins. In your case, it could be thrombophlebitis, but...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now