Q. I have lower back pain in the mornings. Can you interpret my X-ray?

Dr. Chitrangada
Published on Feb 18, 2018

I have lower back pain in the morning and from recently, I cannot bend and I have weak legs and pain in the calves, hips, and hamstrings. I did some X-ray. Can you interpret it?

Dr. Chitrangada

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your X-rays indicate changes of spondylitis in the form of disc space reduction and osteophytes.

For the symptoms you have, I would recommend an MRI of the lumbar spine with whole spine screening and back strengthening exercises.

For more information consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

Thanks for the prompt reply. I appreciate that. I need some more help also. Please guide me. Is this AS? Could you tell me which L1 or L2 is affected most? What is the grade? What about sacroiliac joint? Can an MRI or something else add information for interpretation? If there is no cure, how severe is my case? In extreme cases, what would be the solution?

Extreme exercise or surgery usually? I like surgeries if it heals completely. Beside lower back pain, could this abnormality in spine and disk give me cold feet? Every time when I sit or stand still and turn to my foot sole or the entire foot and toes and now legs too before the knee turns red and cold within a fraction of a second. My rheumatologist ruled out after checking legs artery, pulse artery disease, and Raynaud phenomenon. Should I request thoracic and cervical imaging also as I have some neck pain and chest wall discomfort but Ido not know if technically it is possible?

Dr. Chitrangada

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

No, this is not ankylosing spondylosis as the sacroiliac joint space is preserved and vertebrae appear normal in characteristic. There is joint space reduction at L4-L5 and more at L5-S1 level indicating spondylosis.

MRI will help in evaluating the disc changes and any nerve compression which is causing your symptoms and over time if it is worsening or not. Also, this will help your consultant decide the necessary treatment that you would require - in terms of medication or in worse scenario surgery.

Your case is very early in terms of X-ray findings. However, MRI can pick up more subtle findings.

With whole spine screening that I recommended they would cover everything with a focused scan of the lumbar spine and also will be cost effective.

What could be causing low back pain for the past one month?

Query: Hello doctor,I am facing low back pain from the last one month. I have attached my MRI report.  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your MRI report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) indicates a disc herniation in the lower vertebral column. This could be the cause of your back pain. Coming to this point, I recommend taking Ibuprofen 400 mg three times daily and a muscle relaxant (F...  Read Full

What are the reasons for left side hip pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have some pain on the left side just above my hip bone. It started recently after I finished my period and it has been there for a few days. It is very much uncomfortable and hurts when there is pressure on it.  Read Full >>

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The pain seems not to be related to the periods. If the pain is more towards the back, then it is likely muscular. In that case, muscle relaxant should help like Tolperisone 450 once a day for five days. If it is more on the side, then it could be a referred pain of urete...  Read Full

I have low back pain and frequent urination after sex. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 40 years old and have suffered from bouts of prostatitis a few times. I have not had an intimate life for many years. Now, I am having an intimate life with one person, who is clean as well as I am. After vigorous sex, I am having frequent urination, especially at night. I was wonder...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Yes, your symptoms are consistent with either urinary tract infection (UTI) or prostatic enlargement. In fact, you might have benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) contributing to UTI. The second reason can be sexually transmitted UTI as also said b...  Read Full

Ask a Radiologist Now