Q. Whenever I inhale all the way, it hurts, and I have to cough. Can herniated disc cause this?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 31, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 03, 2021

I think that I have a pinched nerve or herniated disc in my back right next to my left shoulder blade. It makes me hard to breathe. Before two days, my face, hands, and feet became numb and my eyes got twitching while driving. When I breathed out, it was wheezy. When I inhaled, I had a cough. It hurts me a lot. Nothing came out when I coughed out. I am worried about my current health condition.

#

All the nerves in the body originate from the brain and it goes to all over the body through the spinal cord. You have mentioned the presence of a herniated disc and pinched nerve in the shoulder. When this happens, nerve pathways below the herniated site get disturbed. So the nerve supply to the lower body and hands get disturbed at certain points as well as to the lungs. It depends on the severity of the herniated disc. You need to do MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) to know the exact level of compression due to herniated disc. Then the doctor can start giving treatment accordingly. In some cases, surgical treatment is required to fix the disc presenting with pins. You are facing these symptoms due to it or you can have an acute respiratory tract infection along with it. I suggest you consult a neurologist to do tests and further treatment.

|