Can lower back pain result in paralysis even after taking treatment?

Q. Can a lower back pain lead to paralysis?

Answered by
Dr. Chinezu R. Rares
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 25, 2023

Hi doctor,

I am a 24 year old student. When I was 17 years old, my lower back was injured while playing cricket. That time I was also a little depressed and was taking some tablets. After 15 days, I got typhoid, so I did not care much about the injury at that time. But since then, I have been feeling stiffness and numbness in my lower back. Now, my problem has worsened. My MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) (that I have attached) shows that there is compression on the right side, in L4-L5 region. And the right exiting S1 nerve is also compressed. My bones have become weaker, and L4-L5 interarticular is fractured. My weight is increasing, and I was always more sensitive to cold. As of now, the right side of my neck and the right-hand feels very weak. I do not have power in my body. I am taking Pregaba-M 75, twice a day and Calcitriol weekly. Earlier I used to take calcium, but I stopped as my problem worsened after taking them. Can I recover from this? Somebody advised for surgery, is it not risky? My pain is relieved from exercise but not cured. What should I do? And where should I consult for this? Due to this, I am not able to concentrate on studies and also very tense. Can this result in paralysis?


Hello, Welcome to

From the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that you have provided, it is possible to see a fracture on the pars(the rod connecting the anterior part of the vertebra and the vertebral body to the posterior elements). The flexion-extension x-ray does not show inability, but still, the MRI report indicates an L5-S1 disk herniation, which at your age could be an indirect sign of spinal instability. The back pain can also be a sign of spinal instability, unfortunately, the MRI is quite old, so you should do another MRI and also a lumbar CT (Computed Tomography), as this excellently presents bone anatomy. There is extremely low risk to develop paralysis from this disease, but if there is spinal instability, surgery is indicated to relieve the pain. Risks of surgery at your age are quite low.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can a lower back pain lead to paralysis?

.. images (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that you have provided, it is possible to see a fracture on the pars (the rod connecting the anterior part of the vertebra and the vertebral body to the posterior elements).   Read full

When I start walking, the portion below the knee is numb. Why?

It can happen due to nerve compression in the spine or below that ...   Read full

I have spasms and pins and needles sensation in my hand. Please help.

Yes, football might have aggravated it by increasing the stress on the cervical spine ... An MRI of the cervical spine will help us understand the cause of symptoms   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Neuro Surgeon Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.