Q. Please interpret my MRI and give the diagnosis and treatment options.

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

I am suffering from acute lower back pain for the last five days. Now I am getting better with medications and bed rest. This severe and acute pain happens every six to nine months since the last four years. It knocks me out for three to four days. On a regular basis, I have lower back stiffness and dull pain, especially in the mornings. It gets better through the day. I regularly exercise, 3 km of brisk walk along with cross trainer, cycling and even skipping without much discomfort. My current medications are Ultracet and Tizan. An MRI has been done and the report of which I have attached. I request you to interpret the report and tell me the diagnosis and treatment options.

#

I have read your MRI report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You have disc prolapse at two levels which is causing compression of nerves at those levels resulting in pain and recurrence of symptoms every few months.
  • More than the report, MRI images are required to access the degree of compression and a neurological examination to look for signs of neurological impairment.
  • Treatment options are based on the above parameters whether to go for conservative treatment that is medication, local steroid injections and exercises or surgery.

For further doubts consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|