Q. Please interpret my MRI and give the diagnosis and treatment options.

Dr. Sumit Chawla
Published on Apr 24, 2016

I am suffering from acute lower back pain for the last five days. Now I am getting better with medications and bed rest. This severe and acute pain happens every six to nine months since the last four years. It knocks me out for three to four days. On a regular basis, I have lower back stiffness and dull pain, especially in the mornings. It gets better through the day. I regularly exercise, 3 km of brisk walk along with cross trainer, cycling and even skipping without much discomfort. My current medications are Ultracet and Tizan. An MRI has been done and the report of which I have attached. I request you to interpret the report and tell me the diagnosis and treatment options.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

I have read your MRI report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You have disc prolapse at two levels which is causing compression of nerves at those levels resulting in pain and recurrence of symptoms every few months.
  • More than the report, MRI images are required to access the degree of compression and a neurological examination to look for signs of neurological impairment.
  • Treatment options are based on the above parameters whether to go for conservative treatment that is medication, local steroid injections and exercises or surgery.

For further doubts consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

How can I be relieved of this sharp lower back pain?

Query: Hello doctor, Last night, I bent over to reach for something and got a sharp pain in the left side of my lower back and the pain is still there. I can hardly move without intense pain. Is there anything that I can do to feel better? I do lift a lot of heavy boxes at work. What should I do? I can ben...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The probable cause is IVDP (intervertebral disc prolapse) and iliopsoas strain. I feel that pain could be due to irritation. I would like to you to do a lot of icing on your back once in every two hours. Lie on stomach with chest placed over pillows like in a cobr...  Read Full

Why is there numbness in the hands after so many years of accident?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother met with an accident 20 years ago. Now, he has some numbness in his hands. We have attached the reports of the scan had recently. Kindly suggest treatment.  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have carefully reviewed the uploaded MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It indicates cervical spinal cord compression in the cervical region. This compression is responsible for his hand numbness. For this re...  Read Full

I have spasms and pins and needles sensation in my hand. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am having spasms in my hand. I had it briefly in the left hand and then, my right arm was feeling numb. This morning my right hand has spasms on all fingers at different occasions with some pins and needle feeling. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.You might have nerve compression from cervical spondylitis.Please consult your GP to get an MRI of the neck.For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist  Read Full

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now