Q. Can I follow physiotherapy to cure AVS?

Answered by
Dr. Anuj Gupta
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Sep 21, 2018

Hi doctor,

I am suffering from AVS for the last two months and have been suggested to undergo core decompression. But according to some physiotherapist, by seeing my MRI, it can be treated using some exercises as my femoral shape has not changed or collapsed. I cannot understand what should I do. I am 35 years old.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Avascular necrosis is an irreversible disease. Once the process has started, it cannot be reverted. The rate of progress depends on person to person. The treatment depends on symptoms and quality of life. Initially, the patient experiences only pain and range of motion is not limited. The pain is because of raised pressure inside bone and since the shape of the head is maintained, so the range of motion is good. So in this case, core decompression helps in reducing the pressure and in turn pain. But, this surgery does not stop or slow the progression of the disease.

In the later stages when the shape of the head is deformed and there is pain and hence the quality of life is severely affecting, then the only option left will be the hip replacement. I would be able to help you more in the decision if you could tell me what are your symptoms and what all you feel you are not able to do in your daily life.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can total hip replacement surgery be delayed in my case?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 38 year old male having pain in the hip and severe leg pain from calves to ankle, tingling, pins and needles in both feet, and stiffness in thighs. Please find all the reports attached. Also, suggest a medicine for RA.  Read Full »

Can you suggest physiotherapy treatment for plantar fasciitis and knee pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 40 year old man. I have a foot pain which was diagnosed a few years ago as plantar fasciitis. I use shoes with special support, insoles, and cushion on the socks. I also have a pain in my right knee, especially on the inner side. I want to know if there are any exercises or st...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.