Q. Can I follow physiotherapy to cure AVS?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

I am suffering from AVS for the last two months and have been suggested to undergo core decompression. But according to some physiotherapist, by seeing my MRI, it can be treated using some exercises as my femoral shape has not changed or collapsed. I cannot understand what should I do. I am 35 years old.

#

Avascular necrosis is an irreversible disease. Once the process has started, it cannot be reverted. The rate of progress depends on person to person. The treatment depends on symptoms and quality of life. Initially, the patient experiences only pain and range of motion is not limited. The pain is because of raised pressure inside bone and since the shape of the head is maintained, so the range of motion is good. So in this case, core decompression helps in reducing the pressure and in turn pain. But, this surgery does not stop or slow the progression of the disease.

In the later stages when the shape of the head is deformed and there is pain and hence the quality of life is severely affecting, then the only option left will be the hip replacement. I would be able to help you more in the decision if you could tell me what are your symptoms and what all you feel you are not able to do in your daily life.

|