Q. Why do I have some white semicircular band on my fingernails?

Dr. Chaitra Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2020

I have noticed something different on the tip of the nails. At the tip of all nails a band of half white color has formed and it is going around the circumference of the nail horizontally. They are not an exact horizontal line, but a circular band around the tip of the nail. I am also attaching the picture of my nails for your better understanding. I am not sure whether they were always there or have developed recently. But, I noticed them recently. Please tell me what is the cause of this. I also have some unusual taste in my mouth or tongue. I do not know whether they are related with the nails. But, I have not had this before. Please help.

#

• From the details provided, it seems as onycholysis. It means your nail tip is loosened from your nail bed underneath.
  • In your case it is very mild and probably due to cutting nails too short.
  • There is nothing much to worry about at present. It is also unlikely to be related to your taste problem.
  • You could just observe or take multivitamin tablets for a while.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I do not think that my nails are loosened from beneath. They are very much intact. My concern is that, why I have some white semicircular bands on my fingernails? I have searched on the internet and I could not find this type of nail photo. I am not questioning your diagnosis here. Also, I wanted to tell you that in the past month I was under stress. Could it be the reason? Also, on my skin when I look with full concentration I find very small shiny particles. They are not visible at first look and difficult to spot, but when try to look under room light or in open then it is visible. Sometimes, I get itchy bumps for no reason. Hope to find a good reason.

#

• It is normal in most individuals to see a slight color change in nails.
  • This is due to nutritional deficiency or daily wear and tear or environment related or sometimes due to medicines.
  • In your nails only there are some mild color changes at your tips. These changes could be physiological variations.
  • Also, I find that the taste and skin problem are not related to your nails. However, as it concerns you, I suggest you to consult your dermatologist for an examination of the same with suitable tests.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|