Q. The cap of my tooth busted before two months. Is it good to wailt for two weeks as per dentist advice?

Dr. Subha
Published on Nov 16, 2019

I have busted my tooth about two months ago. I tried to consult a dentist. The first dentist told me a huge cost for pulling it and the titanium screw. Went to the second dentist for a second opinion. He said I have to wait for another two to four more weeks to even get started. Does this sound normal? Actually, I had a cap on the same tooth 18 months ago, and that busted directly above. I can feel with my tongue that it protrudes lower.

Dr. Subha

Dentistry
#

You have mentioned that the present tooth problem has been there for two months. You have already had a crown in the same tooth before eight months. Have you undergone a root canal treatment for the same?

It would be better if you could attach the following:

1. An intraoral photograph of the affected tooth.

2. An x-ray (intraoral periapical radiograph) of the affected tooth.

The exact diagnosis and the treatment plan can be decided after going through the above. Since you have been having the busted tooth for two months, I assume that there was either no pain or very minimal pain. Because if there was any abscess or infection related to that tooth, you might have had severe pain, pus discharge or swelling. So, the chances of acute infection are very minimal. There is no emergency and may be this is the reason why your dentist had asked to wait for two to four weeks. If there was any infection at present, your dentist might have put you under medications and would have asked you to come for extraction in three to four days.

May be there is gross decay of tooth or there is no scope for saving the tooth, and that is why the dentist had advised extraction (pull out the tooth). I can comment on the treatment plan only after seeing the picture and x-ray. If you are going to get the tooth extracted, then it can be replaced by either implant (screw and cap) or fixed partial denture or removable partial denture depending upon your choice.

Could it be an issue of the crown that causes pain in the teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, About 13 years ago, I had an abscess on the right upper first and second molars. The Endodontist has done root canal treatment in these teeth and crowns were placed after the treatment. Recently, I experienced pain around the gums in the second molar and there is a pain radiating to the ...  Read Full »

Other than braces, how to close the gap between two front teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a gap between my two front teeth. I feel insecure to the point where I do not smile with my mouth wide open. I told my dentist about this. She said she cannot give me braces. What should I do? Is there anything else I can ask my dentist to give me other than braces to close my gap?  Read Full »

My husband always loses his tooth after a root canal. What should he do?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband has been told he needs a root canal on two of his teeth. He has had seven root canals in his life and then crowns on those teeth. He is 49 and has now lost all of the teeth that he had root canals and crowns on. He has problems with the crowns. They tell him he has a small ...  Read Full »