Q. The cap of my tooth busted before two months. Is it good to wailt for two weeks as per dentist advice?

Answered by
Dr. Subha
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 16, 2019

Hello doctor,

I have busted my tooth about two months ago. I tried to consult a dentist. The first dentist told me a huge cost for pulling it and the titanium screw. Went to the second dentist for a second opinion. He said I have to wait for another two to four more weeks to even get started. Does this sound normal? Actually, I had a cap on the same tooth 18 months ago, and that busted directly above. I can feel with my tongue that it protrudes lower.



Welcome to

You have mentioned that the present tooth problem has been there for two months. You have already had a crown in the same tooth before eight months. Have you undergone a root canal treatment for the same?

It would be better if you could attach the following:

1. An intraoral photograph of the affected tooth.

2. An x-ray (intraoral periapical radiograph) of the affected tooth.

The exact diagnosis and the treatment plan can be decided after going through the above. Since you have been having the busted tooth for two months, I assume that there was either no pain or very minimal pain. Because if there was any abscess or infection related to that tooth, you might have had severe pain, pus discharge or swelling. So, the chances of acute infection are very minimal. There is no emergency and may be this is the reason why your dentist had asked to wait for two to four weeks. If there was any infection at present, your dentist might have put you under medications and would have asked you to come for extraction in three to four days.

May be there is gross decay of tooth or there is no scope for saving the tooth, and that is why the dentist had advised extraction (pull out the tooth). I can comment on the treatment plan only after seeing the picture and x-ray. If you are going to get the tooth extracted, then it can be replaced by either implant (screw and cap) or fixed partial denture or removable partial denture depending upon your choice.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Could it be an issue of the crown that causes pain in the teeth?

The Endodontist has done root canal treatment in these teeth and crowns were placed after the treatment ...   Read full

I have been experiencing an aching pain underneath one of my dental crowns. What to do?

.. that your infection in the crowned tooth has come back again. You can confirm it by palpating the gums above the tooth where the root is located inside the bones and tap with your fingers on the tips of the tooth. If you have pain, then it occurs ...   Read full

I fixed my temporary crown back with toothpaste and now my tooth hurts. Why?

.. was most likely due to sensitivity. It will settle down when the permanent crown is placed. The method of putting the crown back using toothpaste is not recommended as there is a high chance that it will dislodge again and you might end up swall...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.