Q. How to get rid of diverticulosis?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I hope you are well. I would like to know the details of the MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) and if this is something I have to worry about?

#

There are a few findings in these images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

One of which indicates that your prostate may be mildly enlarged and have some inflammation.

• Are you having any issues with passing urine?
  • Are you having any pain during ejaculation?

It also reflected that the bladder wall is thickened, which can happen if you are unable to urinate like the way you are supposed to and accumulate some urine backward. It did not reveal any prostate cancer, which is excellent news.

Another important thing that was identified in the colon was diverticulosis. This means that if you suffer from chronic constipation, you can develop very small pockets in the colon. If that has to happen, you can develop belly pain predominantly in the left lower side of your abdomen. This may not be a source of a problem unless an infection develops. However, there was no evidence of inflammation or infection in this current imaging, which is once again great news.

I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Thank you for your reply.

It is hard for me to empty my bowels, and I was wondering should I ask my doctor for medications for diverticulosis at this time or no need for that?

#

You should try to avoid constipation. What this means is adding plenty of fiber in your diet, walking or doing any type of exercise you like 2-3 times a week. Do not use stool softeners however you can use Benefiber (plant-based prebiotic fiber supplement) or Psyllium (Ispaghol) in warm water in the morning on empty stomach. Avoid process meat and eating food from fast food chains. White flour can promote constipation so you have to limit that. No medications are recommended for diverticulosis only if an infection happens which your imaging did not show. I hope I have addressed your concerns. Thank you.

|