Q. How to know the reason for bouts of dizziness?

Answered by
Dr. Prakashkumar P Bhatt
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 15, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 08, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am a 37-year-old male. I have been getting bouts of dizziness, which can be described as an electric shock in my head. There is also a feel of nerve twitch in my temple. I also found that my reaction time is a bit slower.

I did a cardiac screening, which involved a stress echo. The echo test and Holter monitor are all clear. My doctor referred me to an ENT and suggested for MRI of the brain and both the ears.

The ENT suggested tests to check my vision and to check for vertigo. The test report states that my eye movement was out of coordination, which is consistent with a central lesion.

My questions are:

1) What is the cause for brain zaps and dizziness?

2) What is a central lesion, and surely would it have shown up on an MRI?

3) Is central lesion a degenerative disease, and does it lower life expectancy?

4) Is it curable or reversible?



Welcome to

You are suffering from dizziness and electric shock over your face with some incoordination of eyes as per your ophthalmologist.

Nothing from Cardiac, eye and ENT. The problems seem to be a neurological disorder. It is good that your MRI Brain is normal, that means no structural lesion like tumor or mass or demyelination. Still, there are many reasons that cannot be seen on MRI and we need to evaluate those.

The answer to your questions are:

1. We need to find out the causes with further testings.

2. Central lesion means brain or brainstem related causes of your dizziness.

3. & 4. Degenerative lesion at age 37 is less likely. We need to evaluate it, and only after that, I can say.


1. Give me a detailed description of your dizziness bouts. How it starts, any trigger? How long it is lasting, and what is the duration of your disease? Does it aggravate with position change?

2. Are you suffering from slurred speech, imbalance while walking?

3. I want to see your MRI brain, and you might need MRI brain with angiography and contrast injection study.

Then I will give further advise.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have dizziness, loss of appetite, dehydration and changes in CBC report. Please help.

I do have anxiety, and it seems like depression for the last month ... For depression and anxiety, you can try yoga, meditation, and exercise ...   Read full

I get dizziness when I look up or get up. What is causing this?

.. carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms do not seem to be related to intracranial hypertension or any of the other disorders. An inner ear disorder, vertigo, or epilepsy may lead to such clinical situation. For this r...   Read full

What causes dizziness and blackout with swollen throat?

.. descriptive history, I come to the conclusion that it started off as a viral infection (a sore throat) and has progressed to a secondary bacterial infection which has manifested as a cough with phlegm and due to phlegm accumulation in your sinuses...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

What Is ADHD and How Is It Managed?
This article discusses ADHD, whether it is a real condition, features of ADHD, how to recognize and manage this common c...  Read more»
Does a cold sore indicate cervical cancer?
Hi doctor,Can a cold sore virus cause cervical cancer? I never had sex before, but I have caught a cold sore from one of...  Read more»
I am experiencing abdominal bloating and severe acidity. Are these side effects of antibiotics?
Hello doctor, I have been experiencing bloating and acidity during the menopause years. After experiencing a burning se...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Neurologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.