Q. How to know the reason for bouts of dizziness?

Dr. Prakashkumar P Bhatt
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 15, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 08, 2020

I am a 37-year-old male. I have been getting bouts of dizziness, which can be described as an electric shock in my head. There is also a feel of nerve twitch in my temple. I also found that my reaction time is a bit slower.

I did a cardiac screening, which involved a stress echo. The echo test and Holter monitor are all clear. My doctor referred me to an ENT and suggested for MRI of the brain and both the ears.

The ENT suggested tests to check my vision and to check for vertigo. The test report states that my eye movement was out of coordination, which is consistent with a central lesion.

My questions are:

1) What is the cause for brain zaps and dizziness?

2) What is a central lesion, and surely would it have shown up on an MRI?

3) Is central lesion a degenerative disease, and does it lower life expectancy?

4) Is it curable or reversible?

#

You are suffering from dizziness and electric shock over your face with some incoordination of eyes as per your ophthalmologist.

Nothing from Cardiac, eye and ENT. The problems seem to be a neurological disorder. It is good that your MRI Brain is normal, that means no structural lesion like tumor or mass or demyelination. Still, there are many reasons that cannot be seen on MRI and we need to evaluate those.

The answer to your questions are:

1. We need to find out the causes with further testings.

2. Central lesion means brain or brainstem related causes of your dizziness.

3. & 4. Degenerative lesion at age 37 is less likely. We need to evaluate it, and only after that, I can say.

So,

1. Give me a detailed description of your dizziness bouts. How it starts, any trigger? How long it is lasting, and what is the duration of your disease? Does it aggravate with position change?

2. Are you suffering from slurred speech, imbalance while walking?

3. I want to see your MRI brain, and you might need MRI brain with angiography and contrast injection study.

Then I will give further advise.

|