Q. Can I take epilepsy tablets when I am pregnant?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 21, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 30, 2019

I am a 30 year old female. I am 8 weeks pregnant. I have been having epilepsy since 10 years. I had the last seizure a year ago. I am taking the following tablets: tablet Tegretol CR 200 (1-0-2), tablet Frisium 5 mg (0-0-2) and tablet Folic acid 5 mg (0-0-1). Can I take these tablets when I am pregnant?

#

Tablet Tegretol should not be used in pregnancy. Only pregnancy-safe drugs should be taken during pregnancy. It is categorized as category D of FDA drugs in pregnancy. Category D means, there is enough evidence that it causes risk to the fetus.

So, I would advise you to get back to your neurologist and discuss with him to shift you on safer anti-epileptics like Levetiracetam.

I will consult my doctor for Tegretol CR 200. Could you please answer on tablet Frisium as this is of a concern. Also why is Susten 200 suggested? Are there any consequences with Susten? Is 129 bpm that low?

#

• Susten (Progesterone) is suggested as it reduces the risk of spontaneous abortions in high risk patients.
  • Heart rate of fetus of 129 bpm is not very low, but since you are a high risk candidate, it should be kept under monitoring.
  • As far as the Frisium is concerned, it is FDA category C , that means risk cannot be ruled out. So, it should be avoided as far as possible.

Fetal HR monitoring has to be done.

Switch over to safer anti-epileptics.

If you have any further query, revert back to a neurologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|