Q. I was diagnosed with CSOM and now, facing dizziness. What to do?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Before five years, I had a left eardrum rupture and transparent watery pus discharge. It turned pale after some time. I tried an ayurvedic ear drop to treat pus discharge. Then, the pus discharge stopped, but there was some itching inside the ear. After 5 years, I was diagnosed to have CSOM in my left ear. I feel some hearing problem in the left ear. Though pus did not come again, the rupture has now gone large. Also, a few days ago, I felt severe dizziness that I could not move on my own. Dizziness occurred on moving head up or down, on getting up and during walking. Dizziness continued for the whole day and even that night I could not sleep. I took Vertin 16 mg to stop the dizziness.

#

• You are having CSOM (chronic suppurative otitis media), but dizziness in CSOM means complications are arising.
  • This seems to be an unsafe type. The best management would be to go for surgery once dizziness settles.
  • You should get a CT scan of the temporal bone to see the grade of disease.
  • For now, you can take an antibiotic orally and try antibiotic ear drops. If you feel dizzy on putting drops, then please stop.
  • I suggest Stemetil (Prochlorperazine) for dizziness. Kindly follow up with your audiometry and CT reports.

Revert back with the reports to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|