Q. My hearing is affected after suddenly waking up in the morning with dizziness and nausea. Please help.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
Published on Jan 26, 2019

Five days ago (for the first time in my life) I went to the emergency room of the local hospital. I had awakened at 3 AM with severe dizziness and nausea. We determined that it was probably caused from an accidental overdose of Tamsulosin. I have gradually improved but to only about 80 % of my previous stability. I am still a bit wobbly, especially when I am tired at the end of the day. This morning my hearing seems affected. It is kind of like they feel when full of water, the sounds seem slightly muted except for sharp sounds which are almost painful.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Welcome to iclinq.com.

You need to perform tympanometry and pure tone audiometry to assess the condition of your middle ears, inner ears, and cochlear nerves. The attack which you have experienced can be an acute vestibular attack but the accurate diagnosis needs initially the previous audiological investigations plus videonystagmography (VNG). Before audiological tests, you have to stop any medications for dizziness for three days.

What is wrong?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I think that the main problem is in your inner ears, a vestibular problem like Meniere's disease, vestibular neuritis or any else vestibular problem. Do not panic, whatever the diagnosis the treatment will be restricted to some tablets and dietary advices.

In your experience, is this most likely a temporary condition?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Not exactly a temporary condition. The right term is a curable disease. It is not a catastrophic thing, it is a common problem which I see every week.

I believe you are correct that this is vestibular neuritis. No ENT's are available here for two weeks. Can you prescribe a medication, such as Prednisone?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

You can start with Prednisone 20 mg three times daily for five days, then twice daily for five days. Then one daily for the last five days. You also need to add Primperan injection in case of vomiting attack. Betahistine twice daily for 15 days. Please, we need to be sure that it is vestibular neuritis by the help of investigations.

I have nausea and burning pain in abdomen. Please provide advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female, 45 kg, 5 feet one inch. I have nausea, slight pain and burning sensation in upper left abdomen, and discomfort on the left side of the abdomen. I am currently on Dolgina, Librax, Calbo.  Read Full »

A pulp is seen in the ear after accidental eardrum damage. What is to be done?

Query: Hi doctor,Five days back, my son put a plastic stick into his ears and the membrane got damaged and blood came out. We went to the doctor immediately. He gave us Azithromycin to give the child and told us to keep his ear safe from air, water and, all other materials. He also told us to watch out for...  Read Full »

I get dizziness when I look up or get up. What is causing this?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been getting bouts of confusion, dizziness (when looking up and sometimes when getting up), headaches, pulses, and pressure in my head and what I can only explain as brain fog (during these episodes, I find that my problem solving and my cognitive function is diminished). The epi...  Read Full »