Q. My GERD symptoms come back after a few hours of taking medicines. Please help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 11, 2021

I have GERD. My stomach hurts a lot and I think that I have a lump on my throat. I have a heartburn sensation. My doctor advised me to take Pantoprazole and Mucosta 100 mg. My pain gets reduced after taking medications and after few hours it comes back again.

#

I understand your concern. The diagnosis of GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) can be established by two things. The first one is endoscopy and the second one is pH metry test. In case like yours having a low probability of GERD, it is better to do a pH metry test to confirm and establish the diagnosis of GERD before modifying the treatment independently. There are two ways to do pH metry. The first one is a 24-hour probe through the nose and another one is a pH capsule which is done by the endoscopist.

The latter one is expensive and requires another endoscopy while the former is cumbersome for you as a catheter is passed across your nose into the food pipe for atleast 24 hours. If you are not willing to do any test now, then you can have an alternative option. You can take Pantoprazole 40 mg half an hour before meals and it takes around 3 days to see the response of this medication on your symptoms. Continue taking Mucosta 100 mg (Rebamipide) thrice daily. You can take Gaviscon 15 ml four times daily half an hour before meals till your symptoms get improved. Have a follow-up soon.

You have suspected GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).

Do pH metry testing to confirm GERD.

For now, take Pantoprazole 40 mg half an hour before meals and syrup Gaviscon four times daily half an hour before meals.

Have a follow-up in three days.

|