Q. Does my fetus have a short nasal bone?

During my TIFFA USG at 19 weeks and 1 day, the fetal nasal bone measured 0.44 mm. Will the fetal nasal bone develop after few weeks, or it indicates a short nasal bone? Or is it too early to conclude? The scan report showed the following: prominent bilateral pelvis, more on the right side (4.77 mm) compared to the left (3.4 mm) with mild Caldwell dilatation on the right side, echogenic cardiac focus in the left ventricle. My previous fetus also showed the above mentioned two things, but at two different scans. I am currently taking Susten 200, iron, vitamins, calcium and Thyronorm 25 mg. Please give your opinion.

#

• The standard thickness of the nasal bone ranges between 1.5 to 2.5 mm.
  • Your fetal nasal bone thickness is less for the gestation period, and the presence of echogenic focus in the left ventricle indicates endocardial cushion defect, which is seen in the case of Down's syndrome. It is advisable that you should opt for a non-invasive prenatal testing or amniocentesis for FISH (fluorescent in situ hybridization) study, which can ascertain the fetal karyotype and trisomy 21 can be conclusively ruled out.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I wrongly mentioned the nasal bone thickness as 0.44 mm. The correct measurement is 0.44 cm.

#

• Your fetal bone thickness of 4.4 mm is beyond the acceptable range. Ideally, the nasal scan should be done between 12 to 14 weeks of gestation. It is still better to get a NIPT (noninvasive prenatal testing) or amniocentesis done to rule out Down syndrome, as your baby has an echogenic focus in the heart along with endocardial cushion defect.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|