Q. Is it necessary to get Down's syndrome test done if there is no fetal movement?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

I am 13 weeks pregnant. I have not felt any movement, this is the second pregnancy. I recently went to the hospital two weeks ago and did a blood test, they informed me that I needed a Down's syndrome test done and I have straight Medicaid and no one in my area covers straight Medicaid. What else can be done? I just want to make sure my baby is fine.

#

During the late first trimester, nuchal translucency test by ultrasound and double marker test (BhCG, PAPP-A) are done to rule out 80 % cases of Down's, Edward, Patau syndrome. These are normal screening methods, generally covered in Medicare. If you are screened positive and been suggested for some confirmatory test, I am afraid, you need to spend out of pocket. Secondly, fetal movements can be felt only as early as 15 weeks, so be patient regarding that part.

|