Q. An untreated abscessed tooth has started draining from outside the mouth. What to do?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

My partner had an abscessed tooth a while back that went untreated due to no insurance and not having the money for an office visit. The infection has somehow traveled to the outside of his mouth and has to be drained from the exterior on his jawline. No matter how many times it is drained, it comes back. What does he need to do?

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through your query and understand what exactly is the situation.

• The drainage you are doing is the symptomatic treatment of an abscess and you are not treating the root cause which is an anaerobic bacterial infection.
  • I suggest you take the following medications for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.
  1. Tablet Amoxycillin and Clavulanate 625 mg three times daily.
  2. Capsule Pantoprazole 40 mg once a day before breakfast.
  • The medication will kill the bacteria and stop their growth, but it will not stop the formation of a new abscess. For that, the root cause is the tooth itself, which is infected. The tooth needs an endodontic treatment called as root canal treatment or you can simply opt to get it extracted But, I suggest you go for a root canal treatment.
  • Revert after 15 days with improvement.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|