Q. Will Propranolol alter the drug metabolism of Sertraline?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2019

I took Zoloft and Inderal and noticed some interaction. I would like that to be explained to me. Is it safe to take both Propranolol oral and Sertraline oral at the same time? Will Propranolol oral increase the level or effect of Sertraline by altering drug metabolism?

#

• Zoloft (Sertraline) and Inderal (Propranolol) are metabolized through same pathway in the liver.
  • Zoloft reduces the metabolism of Inderal resulting in higher levels of Inderal in the body.
  • What that means for you is that the dose of Inderal should be reduced while you take Zoloft. Otherwise you will be at risk of hypotension, heart block and other complications.
  • Remember you cannot just discontinue either of these medications both Zoloft and Inderal should be tapered off under a physician supervision.
  • How much Inderal are you taking and how much Zoloft are you planning to take? Please let me know so that I can be of further assistance. Thank you.

Revert back with the asked details to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

I feel panic to face people in public. Is it fine to take Inderal?

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting panic to face people. I want to overcome it as it makes me sad. I am a teacher and this frustrates me when I have to say something in front of pupils. When I am in class I do not have a problem. But for example, when all the students gathered in the yard I used to avoid speak...  Read Full »

What are the side effects of Tizanidine?

Query: Hello doctor, I started taking 2 mg of Tizanidine today due to severe spasms. I am directed to take one in the morning and two before bed. I was advised to take a total of 6 mg per day. However, I am having the issues of dizziness and lightheadedness, sweating, agitation and anxiousness, super crazy...  Read Full »

What causes mood swings and feeling of depression?

Query: Hello doctor,I would appreciate if you can help me out. I am taking Propranolol 120 mg. I restarted after a short period of stopping it without the doctor's advice which was wrong of me could be just the side effects cause I feel low-high, low-high, basically, my mood keeps changing. What causes moo...  Read Full »