Q. I am taking Ginette 35. Are there any side effects?

Dr. Charu Bansal
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2020

I am a 22-year-old female, and I am taking Ginette 35 for acne treatment. What are the side effects? Will it affect my future pregnancy? Are there any chances of breast cancer?

#

I understood your problem. Ginette 35 is a combination of Cyproterone acetate, and Ethinyl estradiol is an oral contraceptive used to treat pimples associated with polycystic ovarian disease and hirsutism. It is a perfect drug for acne treatment if indicated.

But is associated with many side effects like other contraceptives are:

1. Nausea or vomiting.

2. Headache or migraine.

3. Weight gain.

4. Menstrual spotting.

5. Depression.

6. Breast tenderness and engorgement.

Regarding your concern for future pregnancies, it may take a few months to get back to the previous periodic menstrual fluctuations; until that time, it may be challenging to get pregnant. But once it is normalized, one can conceive naturally. Besides this, these drugs can increase breast cancer risk if taken on a long-term basis. So, I will advise you to self examine your breasts and take regular check-ups while on treatment. Stay healthy. Thanks.

|