Q. I am having loose stools on and off very often for six months now. Please help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 18, 2020

I am having constant loose stools. I take Adderall, Intuniv, zoloft and a pill for acid reflux. I am a 17 soon to be 18 year old female. I am 5'4 and 215 lbs. This has been on and off very often for up to 6 months now.

#

Hello. I welcome you to clinic.

After reviewing your medication profile, These one medication zoloft and to some extent adderall and intuniv cause gastrointestinal upset. The one of such common adverse effect is diarrhea with zoloft.

Secondly these medication have tendency to increase body weight, and have tendency to drug dependence-in other words addiction.

Since you weight seem be to high, I want you to consult the doctor who prescribed you these medications, and minimize or simply stop medication if not required.

Since the loose stools are secondary to drug side effects; the management of diarrhea in your case would be to stop that potential medications.. You can start taking Ispagol Husk in cold water; it can cause some bloating, so if you think you can tolerate then try it otherwise not. There are certain medications which can be used in diarrhea, but they also contain some sort of drug dependence. I suggest you can try Tab Lomotil 2 tablet three times daily but do not take for more than 3 days for now.

Weight reduction, exercise, avoidance of high risk medications, are all key to healthy life style.

I hope this will h elp Good day

Drug induced diarrhea
Obesity

Stop Zoloft and consider stopping other medications

Follow up if required

|