Q. How to get cured from dry cough presenting with recurrent fever?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I am an 84 years old female. I am having dry cough for twenty-four hours. I am a patient with bronchiectasis. Please help.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you are suffering from a dry cough and you are a patient of bronchiectasis. Antibiotics help in treating bronchiectasis. Macrolides are specific types of antibiotics that not only kill certain types of bacteria but also reduce inflammation in the bronchi. You can take the following medicines. Take tablet Zithromax 500 mg (Azithromycin) one tablet at night for seven to ten days, tablet Allegra (Fexofenadine Hydrochloride) one tablet at night for ten to fourteen days, and tablet Singulair 10 mg (Montelukast) one tablet at night for one month. By taking these above-mentioned medications, you can able to reduce a dry cough.

The patient is having recurrent fever and we are giving Paracetamol every four hours. The fever subsides and comes back again. She is taking Azithromycin three times a day for a week. Another doctor suggested her to take Sinupret three times a day and Sultamicillin three times a day. Should I need to add new medicines again for the cough?

#

As the patient has taken Azithromycin, so I want to change the antibiotics. Sinupret is a herbal cough reliever and Sultamicillin contains both Ampicillin and Sulbactam. Your patient needs to undergo some investigations like CBC (complete blood count), blood C/S (blood culture), widal test, urine R/M/E (urine routine and microscopic examination), Weil Felix test, and CXR (chest X-ray) to find out the exact cause for the fever and then treat them accordingly. In the meantime, she can take the following medicines.

She can take tablet Suprax 400 mg (Cefixime) one tablet in the morning and one tablet in the night for fourteen days, tablet Allegra 120 mg one tablet at the night for ten to fourteen days, and tablet Singulair 10 mg one tablet for one month. In case of fever, she can take Paracetamol with the above-mentioned medications.

Sinupret is a herbal medication and I have no idea about it. I do not have a belief in traditional pharmaceutical medications and I advised you to take tablet Allegra and Singulair for cough. As the patient is having recurrent fever, it can be due to typhoid, pneumonia, or other diseases. I advise you take tablet Suprax. Azithromycin can cause weakness.

|