Q. I am experiencing dry cough for last 2 months. I did blood test to see something wrong. Here are the results

Dr. Suneetha B S
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 35 year old male. I am experiencing dry cough for last 2 months. I visited local doctors two weeks back and they have suggested Deriphyllin R twice a day, Azithral A once a day and Allrite once a day for 5 days. But the cough returned after the course completed. I had slight pressure on my chest but after the suggested course I only have cough. Also I was advised not to use talcum powder and body spray. I did blood test to see if something wrong. Here are the results hemoglobin, EDTA whole blood 14.60, total leucocytes (WBC) count - 10500, platelet count 272,000, Red blood cell count 4.78, PCV 43.20, MCV 90.30, MCH 30.50, MCHC 33.80, neutrophils 53, absolute neutrophils 5565, eosinophils 6%, absolute eosinophils 630, lymphocytes 37%, absolute lymphocytes 3885, monocytes 4%, absolute monocytes 420, basophils 0, absolute basophils 0, RBC morphology - normocytic, normochromic. WBC abnormalities not detected, platelets adequate, parasites not detected.

#

• Your blood levels show slightly higher eosinophil count. It indicates that you have a tendency to develop allergies.
  • I have some questions for you please answer it for my better help.
  • Do you live in or travel through dusty areas regularly? Do you have pets at home?
  • Do you go on walks in parks or in areas where there are many plants?
  • Do you have dandruff problem?
  • Have you faced similar problems earlier? If yes, when and how often?
  • Do you have difficulty in breathing? If yes, is it while breathing in or breathing out?
  • Do you hear any sound while breathing (like someone is blowing through a pipe)?
  • Are you still taking Deriphyllin? Do you get any phlegm (mucus) when you cough?

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Thank you for the response. I travel by car with closed windows. Yes, my house is dusty. No pets at home. No, I do not go to park daily. Yes, I have some dandruff problem. This similar pattern was observed many times in rainy season or summer normally after I recover from fever. I do not have difficulty in breathing out but rarely while breathing in. I do not hear any sound while breathing. I have stopped Deriphyllin before two days back after the is completed. I do not used to any phlegm while coughing.

#

I appreciate your prompt response.

• With your description, it looks more like allergic cough only.
  • You can take a course of tablet Levosiz-M (combination of Levocetirizine hydrochloride and Montelukast) once a day preferably at night for 15 days.
  • Tablet Deriphyllin can also be taken once a day in case you have severe symptoms.
  • In any case of allergy, the only one permanent solution is removal of the cause of allergy. In your case, I can see two causes- dust and dandruff.
  • Eliminate any dust from your house. There should be no dust anywhere.
  • Get rid of your dandruff problem. Use AF-K lotion (combination of Ketoconazole and Zinc pyrithione) as a shampoo once every week.
  • Change your bed sheet at least once every week and your pillow cover at least once in two days.
  • Medicines can help you temporarily. Until you eliminate the cause, this problem will occur repeatedly.

|