Q. I am experiencing dry cough for last 2 months. I did blood test to see something wrong. Here are the results

Dr. Suneetha B S
Published on Jul 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 35 year old male. I am experiencing dry cough for last 2 months. I visited local doctors two weeks back and they have suggested Deriphyllin R twice a day, Azithral A once a day and Allrite once a day for 5 days. But the cough returned after the course completed. I had slight pressure on my chest but after the suggested course I only have cough. Also I was advised not to use talcum powder and body spray. I did blood test to see if something wrong. Here are the results hemoglobin, EDTA whole blood 14.60, total leucocytes (WBC) count - 10500, platelet count 272,000, Red blood cell count 4.78, PCV 43.20, MCV 90.30, MCH 30.50, MCHC 33.80, neutrophils 53, absolute neutrophils 5565, eosinophils 6%, absolute eosinophils 630, lymphocytes 37%, absolute lymphocytes 3885, monocytes 4%, absolute monocytes 420, basophils 0, absolute basophils 0, RBC morphology - normocytic, normochromic. WBC abnormalities not detected, platelets adequate, parasites not detected.

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

• Your blood levels show slightly higher eosinophil count. It indicates that you have a tendency to develop allergies.
  • I have some questions for you please answer it for my better help.
  • Do you live in or travel through dusty areas regularly? Do you have pets at home?
  • Do you go on walks in parks or in areas where there are many plants?
  • Do you have dandruff problem?
  • Have you faced similar problems earlier? If yes, when and how often?
  • Do you have difficulty in breathing? If yes, is it while breathing in or breathing out?
  • Do you hear any sound while breathing (like someone is blowing through a pipe)?
  • Are you still taking Deriphyllin? Do you get any phlegm (mucus) when you cough?

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Thank you for the response. I travel by car with closed windows. Yes, my house is dusty. No pets at home. No, I do not go to park daily. Yes, I have some dandruff problem. This similar pattern was observed many times in rainy season or summer normally after I recover from fever. I do not have difficulty in breathing out but rarely while breathing in. I do not hear any sound while breathing. I have stopped Deriphyllin before two days back after the is completed. I do not used to any phlegm while coughing.

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

I appreciate your prompt response.

• With your description, it looks more like allergic cough only.
  • You can take a course of tablet Levosiz-M (combination of Levocetirizine hydrochloride and Montelukast) once a day preferably at night for 15 days.
  • Tablet Deriphyllin can also be taken once a day in case you have severe symptoms.
  • In any case of allergy, the only one permanent solution is removal of the cause of allergy. In your case, I can see two causes- dust and dandruff.
  • Eliminate any dust from your house. There should be no dust anywhere.
  • Get rid of your dandruff problem. Use AF-K lotion (combination of Ketoconazole and Zinc pyrithione) as a shampoo once every week.
  • Change your bed sheet at least once every week and your pillow cover at least once in two days.
  • Medicines can help you temporarily. Until you eliminate the cause, this problem will occur repeatedly.

Why do I have breathlessness while walking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a normal healthy individual with a sedentary lifestyle. I weigh 67 kg and my height is 165 cm. I am experiencing some breathlessness of late when I walk. Hence, I am trying to understand if there is something wrong in me. My annual medical checkup (over the last 3 years) show my c...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Singla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would like to know about your diet? Do you have any allergies? Do you smoke? My suggestion would be to reduce saturated fats and trans fats intake in your diet. Start taking tablet Rozave...  Read Full

When compared to night shift, how is working in daytime better?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 38 year old male. I am overweight. For past 10 days, I feel tiresome. I am taking tablet Nurokind-LC 1-0-0 and capsule Adliv Forte 1-0-1 for the past four days. Now, I am feeling better but not 100%. I suspect UTI, but not tested yet. I have asthma from childhood. Initially, I ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Hariharan V
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. God created us in manner that we should work for 8 hours, rest for 8 hours and sleep for 8 hours. When we change this pattern it may lead to many diseases like migraine, hypertension, diabetes, obesity, etc. Why you are not getting sleep on time? Are you doing night duti...  Read Full

Kindly suggest me a better and effective medicine for cold.

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from cold from the past two to three days. It includes sneezing, running nose, etc. The basic Cetirizine tablets never work for me. By the way, I do not have any chronic cold issues till now. It just pops up once in a while (once in three or four months) and I depend on C...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know few details regarding your symptoms. Do you have phlegm, which trickles down from your nasal cavity to throat or do you have a headache? This is to rule out sinusitis. Patients who suffer from sinusitis have recurrent episode of cold and stuffine...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now