Q. I experience bouts of dry cough every winter. How can I prevent that?

Dr. Sandhya
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a dry cough problem. While breathing, there is a difficulty. At night, it gets worse and I start to sweat. I have this problem every year during the winter. I got a blood test done and the result was 8 % eosinophilia. Please suggest. I am taking Banocide forte.

#

• As per the history you have provided, you seem to have a slightly higher eosinophil count in the blood. This is termed eosinophilia. It occurs as a result of a hypersensitivity reaction of the body towards a certain form of allergen in the atmosphere, and in your case, the cold weather. The body responds to fight this sensitivity through the release of inflammatory mediators that causes the present state.
  • To overcome this, I suggest the following:
  1. Keep away from any forms of allergens, like pollutants by wearing a protective mask.
  2. Keep away from areas of active smokers.
  3. Keep rooms and the bed clean by wiping it with a damp cloth to prevent the release of dust into the atmosphere.
  4. Stay away from pets, kitchen smoke, and try relying on warmth more like warm clothing, warm water, and keep the surroundings warm. Do not stay outdoors when it is cold
  5. Take a good steam inhalation with salt in the water.
  6. Do warm water salt gargles thrice a day during the cold season.
  7. Start cough syrups having a Dextromethorphan component in it. For example, Tus Q for a dry cough, a tablet with a combination of Levocetrizine and Montelukast one tablet one hour before bed time for seven days and tablet Deriphylline, if wheezing is present.
  8. Continue with Banocide Forte (Diethylcarbamazine).
  • Could you also mention if there is a presence of any allergic skin lesions or forms of eczema over the body.

Wishing you good health.

For more information consult an allergy specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

| 

My symptoms include dry cough, headache, body pain and nausea. Please help me.

Query: Hi doctor,The problem started out with a dry cough. The next day, I had achy bones and headache. It seemed like it was going away and came back the day after when I woke up feeling like throwing up. My eyes, chest and upper back aches with a feeling of nausea. Please help me. I am scared.  Read Full »

I am experiencing dry cough for last 2 months. I did blood test to see something wrong. Here are the results

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male. I am experiencing dry cough for last 2 months. I visited local doctors two weeks back and they have suggested Deriphyllin R twice a day, Azithral A once a day and Allrite once a day for 5 days. But the cough returned after the course completed. I had slight press...  Read Full »

Can I take Levocet M for itchy throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a problem of nose block and my ENT surgeon suggested me to go for a nose operation. As per doctor instruction, operation of my nose was carried out before three months. Now my nose is almost fine, but still I feel that something is there in my throat. I also feel itchy throat and e...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now