Q. I experience bouts of dry cough every winter. How can I prevent that?

Dr. Sandhya
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a dry cough problem. While breathing, there is a difficulty. At night, it gets worse and I start to sweat. I have this problem every year during the winter. I got a blood test done and the result was 8 % eosinophilia. Please suggest. I am taking Banocide forte.

#

• As per the history you have provided, you seem to have a slightly higher eosinophil count in the blood. This is termed eosinophilia. It occurs as a result of a hypersensitivity reaction of the body towards a certain form of allergen in the atmosphere, and in your case, the cold weather. The body responds to fight this sensitivity through the release of inflammatory mediators that causes the present state.
  • To overcome this, I suggest the following:
  1. Keep away from any forms of allergens, like pollutants by wearing a protective mask.
  2. Keep away from areas of active smokers.
  3. Keep rooms and the bed clean by wiping it with a damp cloth to prevent the release of dust into the atmosphere.
  4. Stay away from pets, kitchen smoke, and try relying on warmth more like warm clothing, warm water, and keep the surroundings warm. Do not stay outdoors when it is cold
  5. Take a good steam inhalation with salt in the water.
  6. Do warm water salt gargles thrice a day during the cold season.
  7. Start cough syrups having a Dextromethorphan component in it. For example, Tus Q for a dry cough, a tablet with a combination of Levocetrizine and Montelukast one tablet one hour before bed time for seven days and tablet Deriphylline, if wheezing is present.
  8. Continue with Banocide Forte (Diethylcarbamazine).
  • Could you also mention if there is a presence of any allergic skin lesions or forms of eczema over the body.

Wishing you good health.

For more information consult an allergy specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

|