Q. I have swollen uvula and dry mouth due to medication. Kindly help.

Dr. Mohammad Emranul Islam

I have had a swollen uvula for four weeks with a lump neck and dry mouth due to the medication. It is not painful. I have a sore, scratchy throat.

#

The uvula is reddish, inflamed, and swelled with the posterior part of the soft palate. You have a dry mouth due to the medication, but please mention what medications you are taking and for what purpose. Do you have any allergies to dust, cold or anything? Do you have any nasal obstruction or nasal problems? Do you have any difficulty in swallowing? Did you see any doctor for this?

I can advise you for warm saline water gargling five to seven times daily. Please reply with the answers so that I can help you with the proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

I take Sertraline (Zoloft) for anxiety and panic attacks. The only allergy I know of is hayfever and no known winter allergies. I do not have difficulty swallowing. It just feels like something is at the back of my throat because my uvula is touching my tongue. I do snore as I have a divided septum. I have been using Difflam, saltwater but not going down. I have seen GP they have done swabs to rule out infection they came back negative. I am scared it might be cancer.

#

It looks like an inflammatory, non-malignant lesion. Please be noted that cancer grows rapidly, and it is usually painless and often associated with an ulcer. The base of the uvula is swelled. Thus it came down to the tongue. That is why I think the source is probably above in the nasopharynx. The soft palate is inflamed as well.

Please quit smoking or chewing habit if you have. Difflam is good, but I advise you to gargle with 1% Povidone-iodine mouthwash and continue warm saline water gurgle. It has to reach and wash the uvula well. If it does not improve, then you should see an ENT (ear, nose, throat) surgeon.

Please do not worry about it. It does not look aggressive.

Could snoring possibly cause this irritation? Yes, my throat is always worse in the mornings but does not go down. Can it be due to an allergy? What is the lump next to the uvula? Are the lymph glands swollen because of the inflammation? I do not drink alcohol or smoke. I am just unsure what can be causing it. I am worried whether my anxiety is making it worse, but it does not look sinister?

#

Yes, snoring could be responsible for taking it longer to heal, but the source could be behind the nasal aperture. In deviated nasal septum patients, it is common to have nasal problems, and often they complain that any one of the nostrils is blocked. It shifts from left to right, but seldom do they have both open.

It is difficult to comment on the lump without the examination, you can understand, and I do not want to make any false diagnosis. But lymph nodes do not appear here. You can try Povidone-iodine nasal spray along with gargling. Anxiety can delay the healing. So it is better to see an ENT specialist for diagnosis. He can also provide solutions for the snoring.

Please let me know if you have any other queries.

|