Q. Sompraz for duodenal ulcer is causing gas problem. What to do?

Dr. Lalit Bansal

My husband had duodenal ulcer two months back and was treated immediately by a gastroenterologist. For the past 70 days, he is taking Sompraz 40. But sometimes he has wind formation in his stomach. He is very nervous and believes that he might have developed cancer. He always does this whatever disease (thinking about cancer). Please let me know about the seriousness.

#

Any ulcers in the duodenum, can cause the feeling of wind anytime. Proper treatment is required to get rid of it. Only Sompraz (Esomeprazole) will not solve the problems. You have to give some other medicines to him.

Avoid fatty and spicy food. Do regular walk and exercise is a must. Let done USG (ultrasound) whole abdomen to exclude other problems.

USG whole abdomen.

Syrup Gelusil 2 tablespoons TDS, syrup Sucral two tablespoons TDS, tablet Normaxin (Clidinium bromide and Dicyclomine) 1 BD. Take all these for seven days.

After seven days.

I want to know how long it takes to cure duodenal ulcer? Is taking Sompraz 40 regularly for 70 days harmful and can cause flatulence?

#

Duodenal ulcer usually takes about an average of two months to heal. It varies in different conditions. If you follow the advice properly then it will heal in around one month. Sompraz has very less side effects, but for a long time it can cause flatulence. Also, more than one month treatment is not of any use. You should take some ulcer healing drugs which I mentioned previously. I think you will be completely all right with the above-mentioned treatment in one month. You can change Sompraz to Lan 30 (Lansoprazole) tablet for 1 week as it is more effective with less side effects.

I just want to know whether you are attached with gasteroenterology or neurology?

I had a severe stabbing pain in my stomach. Is that something I should be worried about?

Query: Hello doctor, This has happened to me twice now. This feeling usually lasts for about five to 10 minutes. It felt like a knife was pushed into my stomach and was being twisted. The pain is at the center of my upper stomach. Other than frequent heart burn, I am or at least I feel, healthy. I am not ...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for antral erosions.

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from stomach issues from last one year. As per endoscopy report, I am suffering from antral erosions (scattered red erosions). It is resulting in a loss of appetite, stomach fullness, gastric troubles and incomplete evacuation. Kindly advice a proper medical treatment to ...  Read Full »

Can an ulcer cause severe stomach pains?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with an ulcer a couple of years ago. I watch what I eat so not to aggravate it, but I woke up early this morning having horrible stomach pains all over the midsection. What could be going on?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Surgical Gastroenterologist Now