Q. What shall I do to get relief from cough and heartburn?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 26 year old female. I am suffering from the following symptoms: Cough, blocked itchy throat, which is slightly red, burps, farts, little gassy and acidity. This has increased in the past 24 hours. Because of sore throat, I cannot have cold substances to resolve acidity. Also, I cannot have hot water due to heartburn. I have taken Azithromycin and cough syrup. What should I do for relief?

#

• You appear to be a case of dyspepsia. The acute onset might be drug induced as gastritis is a known side effect of Azithromycin.
  • Gastritis worsens cough, and the cough further induce nausea and vomiting. Hence, it is very prudent to treat both the conditions.
  • For how long you have been on Azithromycin? How long you have been having these symptoms?
  • Do you any other symptoms such as abdominal discomfort, bloating, indigestion, nausea and loss of appetite?
  • Lifestyle changes help you to relieve symptoms. Best to eat several small meals instead of two or three large meals.
  • Wait for 2 to 3 hours before you lie down following meals. Raise the head end of the bed by 10-15 cm.
  • Avoid tea, coffee and spicy food that make your symptoms worse.
  • I suggest you the following medicines. You consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  1. Pantop-D (Pantoprazole and Domperidone) or Tablet Omepure DSR (combination of Omeprazole and Domperidone) once a day before breakfast for 1 week.
  2. Syrup Gelusil or Sucralfate thrice 1 hour before three major meals.
  3. You may take Tablet Levocetirizine twice daily for coughing and itchy throat.
  4. If you have any throat or nasal congestion, then you may take syrup Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine) 10 mL 6th hourly.
  5. Do salt water gargling and rinse your mouth with an antiseptic mouthwash like Listerine.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

I have taken Azithromycin only once today, but quite a strong tablet Azee 500. I just returned from a trip two days back and then these symptoms were started after my swimming the next morning. From amongst the symptoms you have mentioned, I have a lack of appetite only apart from heartburn and burping. Thanks for the lifestyle changes. I will try to improve that. Thank you for the list of medicine as well.

#

• Yes, the food in irregular timings would have triggered dyspepsia.
  • Do not worry, your symptoms will show improvement in two to three days and you will get complete relief in a week.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|