Q. A sinus infection turned into two ear infections. Should I be worried?

Published on Jan 06, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 16, 2019

About a week ago, I got a sinus infection which turned into two ear infections. I have now been on Z-pak as well as Flonase and steroids for four days. My left ear feels substantially better. My right ear, however, is still a little plugged, and now I am experiencing pressure in my temple and jaw area on the right side of my head. Should I be worried? I have one more day left of Z-pak and steroids.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

How do you feel now? Are you better? Did the pressure in the temple and area around the right jaw resolve?

The reason for those two is the block of the eustachian tube on that particular side. This is the tube that equates pressure on either side of the eardrum by connecting back of the nose to the ear. When it gets blocked due to sinus or nasal problems we feel a sense of block and pressure classically in the area between jaw and ear.

If the two have resolved and you are feeling better, then it is good. Otherwise, we have to check if the infection is persisting. Probably, the organism would be resistant to that particular antibiotic. In that case, I would suggest you take a course of Ciprofloxacin and Tinidazole and send a swab from the nasal cavity for pus culture sensitivity. Based on the report, we can change the antibiotic again. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

Good supportive treatment is required - steroid sprays for the nose, systemic decongestants (Phenylephrine), and an antihistaminic (Allegra) to help keep the ear dry. A persistent sinus infection with ear problems requires a nasal endoscopy with documentation of ear findings also. Do revert with more details so that we can help you further. Hoping that you are just fine and that you do not require any further medical attention.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

What is the reason for ringing in ear post ear infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an ear infection but my ear infection has gone now but very low pitched ringing in my right ear is not stopping.  Read Full >>

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptom you are experiencing is called tinnitus. Tinnitus is not always due to a sinister cause. Simple conditions of the ear like wax or ear infections both of external ear canal and middle ear can cause it. First and foremost you must know that tinnitus may be ...  Read Full

Can you suggest some medicine for ear blockage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a left ear blockage, and it happens to me many times. Blockages get open when I move my jaw. I am suffering from this issue for the past two to three years, but not regularly. Commonly, I used to get it after swimming and due to cold. I am not taking any medicine ri...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kumar M

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need a proper evaluation with audiogram and impedance to prevent recurrence. I suggest you tablet Allercet L (Levocetirizine) one at night with Nasivion nasal drops two drops twice daily for five days. Please review with reports. Revert with reports to an ENT otolary...  Read Full

I have sinusitis and feel like something is stuck in my neck. What can be done?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got chronic sinusitis diagnosed by ENT doctor. I am suffering from difficulties of swelling for months, feel like something is stuck in my neck like sputum or something else that is moving up and down, especially while eating or having flu. Do you think it is related to ENT or I h...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.In such a patient what we would do is a laryngoscopy. Just to rule out any growth or inflammation. Chronic sinusitis due to contact post nasal drip tends to cause reflux-related symptoms and globus feeling. Secondly, we need to check your hemoglobin status to rule out Pl...  Read Full