Q. Accidentally, popped a pimple in my ear. Will it get infected?

Dr. Shama Naaz
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 14, 2021

I am a 21-year-old female with oily skin. I have a pimple in my ear. Today, I cleaned my ear with a q tip and it was rough slightly. I forgot about my pimple and popped it. Then I started to have some yellowish or clear juice coming from the pimple. Can I have an ear infection? I used a q tip to clean the inside of my ears and outside by rubbing alcohol. I am still worried about infection. I have attached pictures taken previously and now. This pimple took a long time to grow. It remained squishy and painful. I did not pop it. My dad did it and cleaned his instruments thoroughly. He told me that he cannot see any original pus coming from my ears.

#

Be gentle while cleaning your ears. Unnecessary trauma can increase the chances of getting an infection. You should clean the affected area using cotton and Povidone-iodine. Mix one part of Povidone with four parts of water. After cleaning, apply an antibiotic cream over it. Do it gently twice a day. Keep the area dry. After taking a bath, kindly dry your ears with a soft clean cloth. Have a follow-up after five days. If you notice any deterioration of the condition, kindly check it immediately.

|