Povidone Iodine

When is amputation needed in people with diabetes?

Query: Hi doctor, A person came asking for our assistance. He lives in the jungle. He reported an injury in his right foot with pain and a burning sensation in his toes and foot. The wound smells bad, and the toes turned black. He did not have a fever. We took him to the hospital, and they advised for amp...  Read Full »

Dr. N Ashok Viswanath

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your query and acknowledge the picture attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). The images you uploaded are highly suggestive of invasive bacterial infection (gangrene) and may need amputation as advised by your physicia...  Read Full »

I pooped a pimple in the ear. Will it lead to ear infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21-year-old female with oily skin. I have a pimple in my ear. Today, I cleaned my ear with a q tip and it was rough slightly. I forgot about my pimple and popped it. Then I started to have some yellowish or clear juice coming from the pimple. Can I have an ear infection? I used ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shama Naaz

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.Be gentle while cleaning your ears. Unnecessary trauma can increase the chances of getting an infection. You should clean the affected area using cotton and Povidone-iodine. Mix one part of Povidone with four parts of water. After cleaning, apply an antibiotic cream over it...  Read Full »

I have steri-strip over a cut in my arm. Can I take shower?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23-year-old male with a weight of 77 kilograms and a height of five feet nine inches. I went to a hospital in early hours. I have some cuts in my arm and they put steri-strips and a dressing over it. The dressing remains loose and I can see my wounds covered with dark red scabs as...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanya Dhingra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You can change your dressing by yourself at home by taking someone's help. You can apply Povidone-iodine cream and cotton and then wrap it with a bandage. Avoid placing the wound in water and do not keep it open. A small bleb in a wound is...  Read Full »

What could be the itchy lesion behind the ear leaking clear liquid?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some lesions on the right back of my ear on the outer side. It is red and itchy, and when I rubbed, it leaks a clear liquid. When it dries up, there is a crust that makes it tight and itchy. There is also a little red patch on the skin below the ear. What can I do to stop the l...  Read Full »

Dr. Shama Naaz

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not rub the lesions. Otherwise, you will get the further infection. Keep the area clean and dry. Do not remove the crusts. If you want to clean the area, use an antiseptic solution (Povidone-iodine in dilution of 1:4) and apply an antibiotic ointment. Send a clear...  Read Full »

I injured the head of my penis during masturbation. Will it heal on its own?

Query: Hello doctor,I injured the head of my penis, during masturbation, with a toilet paper roll. The cut seems to be half a centimeter long and blood came out but the bleeding stopped almost immediately. I used water to clean it (the blood seems to be stuck there) and then Betadine. Should I see a doctor...  Read Full »

Dr. Devendra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If bleeding has stopped it is not necessary to see a doctor. Just apply Betadine (Povidone-Iodine) as already done by you and clean with Savlon (antiseptic) solution. Avoid masturbation for five to seven days. With this management, it may bleed again. In that case, ...  Read Full »

What could be the small painless bump on the left end of the mouth?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old female. There is a small bump on my gum. It is not that painful. I tried pressing it, and there is yellow pus that came out of it. It is just so bothering and becomes painful whenever I eat. The bump is close to my teeth located at the far left end of my mouth. I a...  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kindly help me by uploading an image of the swollen lump along with the tooth as soon as possible. I will assist immediately as I receive an image. It is diagnostically important. I suspect periapical abscess. Long term abscess might lead to bone loss and mobility. ...  Read Full »

I swallowed Povidone iodine mouthwash by mistake. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old. I drank Povidone-iodine germicide gargle 10 ml in the morning and 10 ml in the afternoon. Will it affect my health as I am suffering from gastritis? I am also taking other medicines for acid reflux and my other question is that I feel a burning sensation in my left...  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Betadine (Povidone-Iodine 10 %) has been used as an external disinfectant prior to surgery for years. The active antimicrobial agent is iodine and is necessary for thyroid hormone synthesis. Excess iodine will be filtered out by the normal kidneys. Povidone is a common...  Read Full »

A dog scratched me. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend's dog scratched me, and the dog has a tumor on her leg. The dog is vaccinated. Is that scratch still harmful? Do I still need to take any injections?  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, give attention to the following points: Is the dog drooling constantly? Is the dog involved or was involved in any way with street dogs or any other diseased pets like cats, guinea pigs, or other mammals? Were the injections given within seven years fro...  Read Full »

I have throat pain even while swallowing saliva. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have throat pain. The pain aggravates during eating or drinking. I also feel the pain while even swallowing saliva. I have the pain for the past three days. I am currently taking lozenges (Strepsils).  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Kumar Nanjasetty

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for posting the query. I have gone through the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity) thoroughly, and I believe that you are suffering from acute granular pharyngitis. You need to start with home remedies such as, 1. Drinking frequent sips of w...  Read Full »

How can the formation of tonsil stones be prevented?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from tonsil stones and I am very much irritated by them. Can you please tell me how to cure them and how to prevent them? I have not taken any medicines until now.  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Wilfred

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tonsilloliths or tonsil stones are formed due to deposition of lime salts in tonsils after blockage of crypts in tonsils. Treatment involves removal of stones by an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist. Recurrent stones are treated by tonsillectomy. In the meanw...  Read Full »