Q. I have an ear infection in both ears, and it has started to itch. What to do?

Dr. Radhika Shukla
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 05, 2021

I have an ear infection in the left ear after two days when I started taking medications for it. My right ear started to have the same pain as my left ears. I am taking Ibuprofen 800 mg along with Ciprofloxacin and Dexamethasone otic suspension for five days now. On a scale of one to ten, my left ear has pain on a scale of three but my right ear has pain on a scale of five. I have itchiness and I am worried about the pain.

#

It seems that you have otitis externa. It is an infection affecting the outer ear. It is the part of the ear that you clean with buds. The cause is trauma and breach of the outermost layer of the skin causes the bacteria to enter the ear resulting in infection. It is painful during jaw movements and during the movement of the pinna. You can have pain when you apply pressure to the tragus. The itching occurs due to fungal infection.

You can take tablet Augmentin 625 mg (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) two times a day for five days, tablet Ibuprofen for five days, and tablet Pan 40 (Pantoprazole) once in the morning before breakfast for five days. Use Candibiotic ear drops (Lidocaine, Beclomethasone, Clotrimazole, and Chloramphenicol) three drops in both the ears three times a day for five days. Remember to press the tragus after instilling the drops and it helps to let them go deep inside the ears.

|