Q. Is Otomize spray safe to use for ear infection?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 01, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2019

My son has an ear infection, with some discharge. Our local GP tested the discharge and found evidence of several bugs, prescribing Otomize ear spray (Neomycin, Dexamethasone, Acetic Acid). He wears hearing aids, and at his last audiology appointment (three months ago) there was evidence of perforation.

The GP examined his ear and could see no evidence of a hole, although we have previously had conflicting information from the GP and audiology about the existence of a perforation. I have reservations about using the Otomize spray as I have read that it is ototoxic, but I am concerned that the infection will cause more damage if left untreated. Should we proceed with the spray?

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

If there is a perforation or even the slightest doubt of it, Neomycin in the optimize spray can enter the middle ear and pass through round window membrane and cause permanent damage to the inner ear and thereby sensorineural hearing loss. Hence that spray is best avoided. You may instill dull Ciprofloxacin ear or eye drops in the said ear. Two drops twice daily. If the ENT has put an otoscope and categorically ruled out an ear perforation, then we need not worry. For our sake, why do not you ask him to put an otoendoscope inside the ear and show the drum in screen and assuage all our fears regarding a hole in the drum?

Can Practin tablet be used to gain weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old female. My height is 5 feet 3 inches and I weigh 41 kg. I need to put on weight. I have fast metabolism. Can I take Practin and Decdan tablets? It is suggested by one of my friend. Thank you.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The tablets Practin (Cyproheptadine hydrochloride) and Decdan (Dexamethasone) would just add water retention in the body and not increase the muscle mass. So once you leave it, your body shall return back to low weight itsel So, Practin and Decdan are not recommende...  Read Full

What is the reason for ringing in ear post ear infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an ear infection but my ear infection has gone now but very low pitched ringing in my right ear is not stopping.  Read Full >>

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptom you are experiencing is called tinnitus. Tinnitus is not always due to a sinister cause. Simple conditions of the ear like wax or ear infections both of external ear canal and middle ear can cause it. First and foremost you must know that tinnitus may be ...  Read Full

One of my friends wants to use Dexona and Practin to gain weight. Can she use it for 10 days?

Query: Hello doctor,One of my friends wants to use Dexona and Practin to gain weight. Can she use it for 10 days?  Read Full >>

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Using Dexona (Dexamethasone) and Practin is not a correct drug for weight gain. Dexona is a corticosteroid hormone (glucocorticoid) used for arthritis, blood, hormone, immune system disorders, allergic reactions, specific skin and eye conditions, breathing problems, ...  Read Full