Q. Is Otomize spray safe to use for ear infection?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 01, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2019

My son has an ear infection, with some discharge. Our local GP tested the discharge and found evidence of several bugs, prescribing Otomize ear spray (Neomycin, Dexamethasone, Acetic Acid). He wears hearing aids, and at his last audiology appointment (three months ago) there was evidence of perforation.

The GP examined his ear and could see no evidence of a hole, although we have previously had conflicting information from the GP and audiology about the existence of a perforation. I have reservations about using the Otomize spray as I have read that it is ototoxic, but I am concerned that the infection will cause more damage if left untreated. Should we proceed with the spray?

#

If there is a perforation or even the slightest doubt of it, Neomycin in the optimize spray can enter the middle ear and pass through round window membrane and cause permanent damage to the inner ear and thereby sensorineural hearing loss. Hence that spray is best avoided. You may instill dull Ciprofloxacin ear or eye drops in the said ear. Two drops twice daily. If the ENT has put an otoscope and categorically ruled out an ear perforation, then we need not worry. For our sake, why do not you ask him to put an otoendoscope inside the ear and show the drum in screen and assuage all our fears regarding a hole in the drum?

| 
1 out of 1 likes