Q. After getting hot water flush, my ear pain worsen. Is this ear infection?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

I had an aorta aneurysm removed four weeks ago. While in the hospital and rehabilitation, I complained of my ear hurting. I often collect ear wax, so I thought that was the problem. Now that I am home and have a CNA and therapist helping me get stronger, the ear pain is the only pain I have. She put Debrox and Hyland’s earache drops in my ear. She flushed the ear with warm water for two days. The pain is so bad that I can hardly eat because chewing hurts. It hurts in my mouth too. I have been putting saltwater in, but it does not seem to help. Might I have an ear infection? I am not well enough to go to an ENT’s office, and I am not sure if they are open. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

#

It is likely that you have developed otitis externa following wax removal. Syringing often leaves some moisture in the ear and this provides an ideal medium for fungi to grow in. Do you have pain while touching your tragus or moving your pinna? If you have severe pain then you may need analgesics. It would be better to use Paracetamol 500 tablet as and when required. You can also use ear drops containing (Clotrimazole, Neomycin or Ofloxacin, Beclomethasone, and Lidocaine) eg. Candibiotic ear drops. If there is visible swelling or redness of the ear canal you can also use a topical ointment like Mupirocin cream with a q tip twice or thrice a day. Hot fomentation around pinna also helps in reducing pain and inflammation.

|