Q. I have ear pain and itching for the past six months. Kindly suggest a solution.

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

I have an ear itching and some dull pain, especially at night and in the morning, for the past six months. I had an ear wax removed three weeks ago, but the problem is still the same.

#

Do you have diabetes or any chronic medical condition? Most likely, your problem is due to eustachian tube dysfunction or middle ear pressure difference. We need to do some tests to ascertain the same and institute the right medicines.

I do not suffer from diabetes, but I went to my primary care physician, and she prescribed me an allergy medication and nasal spray and said I probably have eustachian tube dysfunction, as you mention. I also have two lower back teeth removed, and my dentist suggested me to have implants done. Might this condition also cause my problem? And also, what medications do you suggest if it is a tube dysfunction, and what kind of test are those?

#

Most likely, it is a eustachian tube catarrh. In this case, there is some block in the tube that connects the ear to the nose that hampers hearing and causes your symptoms. We give anti-allergic and nasal steroid sprays for this. However, if we examine the ear and find some active fluid inside, we may give a mucolytic and the above. In certain cases, we may find an infection inside the drum when we give a course of antibiotics, and instead of the steroid spray, we give nasal decongestant drops. I do not find anything wrong with your primary physician's method of treatment. Since he would have seen the ear with an otoscope, I would go with his method.

Earache can be due to referred pain from a tooth or any other organ with a shared nerve supply. This can be from tooth, tonsils, larynx, voice box, back of the nose, etc. So if you have a problem with the tooth, then it is wise to get it addressed so that if that is the reason for the ear issue, it will get resolved.

With impedance audiometry, we can understand the functioning of the eustachian tube better. You can get impedance audiometry done.

|