Q. After 25 months of unprotected sex, why am I having various symptoms?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

I have few questions to ask regarding my health problems. After 25 months of unprotected sex, I went for an HIV test called comb AIDS test, and the result came negative for both HIV-1 and HIV-2. At the same time, I also took a test on HBsAg, HVC, scrub typhus, Widal test, and blood sugar, but all the results were negative. I again retested comb AIDS test after three months, but the result came negative again. Not satisfied, I went for HIV ELISA test, but even this time, the result came negative. But presently, I am suffering from many problems such as, extreme tiredness, ulcers in mouth and tongue, weakness, reddish spots at the back, frequent thirst, frequent urination, pungent smell of urine, occasional itchy and spot eruption in private parts, occasional and pain in ears, itchy and reddish eyes, no energy to talk, easy catching cold, and uncontrollable sneezing.

I recently got malaria, and I recovered after medication. Is there any possibility that my immune system was too weak to detect antibody after 25 months of unprotected sex? What is the period fo HIV to become AIDS? Is it possible that I am already into the last stage for which the HIV tests gave a false negative result? Is there any further HIV test, which will give 100 % result about my HIV status? Some people suggest me to go for a CD4 count and PCR RNA. So, do I need to go for those test? What is the possible cause of all the symptoms that I mentioned? Lastly, I humbly request you to give a patient reading to my problems and answer my questions systematically. I will be grateful to you. Thank you.

Do you have a question on Unprotected Sex or Hiv?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

MBBS ., DVD., MD COMMUNITY MEDICINE
Community Medicine Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Preventive Medicine Venereology

I have gone through the details and can make out your anxiety.

• The HIV (human immunodeficiency) tests are repeatedly negative even after three months of exposure. It is conclusive that you are free from HIV, provided there is no further risk exposure.
  • You can forget about HIV totally and lead a normal life. The symptoms are non-specific and are not due to HIV. You can consult your physician for evaluation and management of the symptoms.
  • There is no need for further HIV-related tests. There is no possibility of tests coming positive later.

For further queries consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Thank you for replying. I have attached the photos of the red spots on my back and ulcers in my tongue. I am still worried, and I once again request you to answer all the questions that I have asked previously so that, I will be relieved. Please take the trouble of answering me. Please look at the photos, and tell me what I should do further. And also, please tell me openly whether I am at risk or not. Thank you.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

MBBS ., DVD., MD COMMUNITY MEDICINE

Thank you for the follow-up query. I have seen the details and photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The spots may be due to acne or folliculitis. I suggest using a gentle cleanser or soap. Treat dandruff, if any, with Ketoconazole shampoo, like Scalpe or Nizral lotion. You can use topical antibiotic cream or lotion like Erythromycin or Clindamycin.
  • The oral ulcers are likely aphthous ulcer. Avoid stress. Take vitamin supplements including Vitamin B complex. These are non-specific and do not suggest HIV.
  • There is no need for any type of HIV tests. It is conclusive that you are free from HIV. There is no possibility of delayed immune system response or AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). These symptoms are not due to AIDS.
  • It varies with each individual for progression to AIDS. Usually, it may take 10 years. You are not infected, and there is no chance of AIDS. Forget it and lead a normal life. Consult your physician for further evaluation if these symptoms persist.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

I feel so lucky consulting an HIV specialist. Here are a few more problems, which I am undergoing. I have frequent urination and thirst, yellowish color and pungent smelling urine, pain in the legs while sleeping, extreme fatigue, less energy to talk, throat pain, itchy and reddish eyes, itching inside ears and occasional pain, ulcers in the mouth, and itchy private parts. Those are the problems I am presently suffering, which makes me feel that I am probably infected with HIV. I have never experienced so many problems in the past before the unprotected sex. But one good thing is that although I am so worried, my appetite is good so far. So, I would like to ask these few questions, begging you to answer me accordingly. What is the probable cause of the above problems other than the skin and ulcers problems? Some doctors say that in some people who are suspected to be HIV positive, but antibody test cannot detect them, then they are recommended for PCR RNA test. What would you say about this? Hoping that you will give a patient examination of all the problems that I have mentioned above, and also answer the queries that I have written below. Thank you.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

MBBS ., DVD., MD COMMUNITY MEDICINE

Thank you for the follow-up query.

• These symptoms are non-specific and do not suggest HIV. These may be due to stress or anxiety. You can consult your physician for examination and management. You can consult a psychiatrist too for evaluation.
  • There is no need for HIV RNA PCR tests now. These are done in the initial phase. The antibodies tests are not helpful in initial days and are conclusive after three months of exposure. You need not worry about HIV.

HIV1 RNA test is negative. Can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?
Query: Hi doctor,I had sex with massage girl a month back with a condom. But I am not sure about condom break. I had HIV1 RNA test 21 days late. It came negative. So do I need to take another test or can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?  Read Full »
Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you need to go for fourth generation ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay). For more information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist  Read Full »

HIV RNA was negative on 21st day? Can it be positive later?
Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex with a woman for two to three minutes around four weeks ago. I took HIV 1 RNA test on 11th day which was negative. Again I took complete STD panel tests on 21st day with HIV-1 RNA and HIV fourth generation tests, all of the results were negative. But, I can notice sm...  Read Full »
Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Though the photo is not clear, I can make out slight redness on the glans. It may be due to irritation or fungal infection. Do not over clean the area. Clean the area with warm water twice dai...  Read Full »

I am under PEP. How often should I get tested for HIV if the results come negative?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I am on PEP that has to be taken for 28 days. I got my first dose around 40 hours of being contracted to HIV. PEP is not 100 % secure. My question is if I am lucky and the result shows HIV negative after the therapy, how often do I need to get antibody tested if luck s...  Read Full »
Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answers to your queries are: For PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) efficacy, adherence to the medications prescribed for PEP is the most important thing. PEP is really efficacious, To the best of my clinical practice, I have not seen any case of a patient who has comp...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now