Q. My ruptured ear drum healed with scarring and is paining now. Why?

Dr. Surabhi Chopra
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 27, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 04, 2019

Seven years ago, I ruptured my right eardrum. I recently went to my doctor because I lost some of my hearing, and I have been having pains in my right ear. My doctor told me that the ear drum healed but there is a lot of scarring on it. Why is my eardrum hurting if it is improved?

Dr. Surabhi Chopra

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

1) A ruptured eardrum, if not infected, is not a serious condition as it will usually heal by itself within 6 to 8 weeks. It is a skin-like structure, and it heals like a skin that is cut heals. In your case, you had a perforation in the eardrum seven years back, and since then you have not had ear discharge, there is a high possibility that the eardrum has healed.

2) The doctor you have visited must have done an otoscopic examination of your eardrum (looking into the ear canal with a lighted, magnifying instrument called otoscope). Scarring of the drum is called tympanosclerosis. It occurs due to calcification if the tissues in the eardrum and middle ear. If extensive, it may involve your hearing apparatus (chain of small bones for hearing) and affect hearing. I will advise you to get an investigation for a hearing called pure tone audiometry. This will give a clue about the degree and hearing loss. Treatment for hearing loss whether it can be cured by surgery or you need to use a hearing aid will depend on the reports of audiometry.

3) Causes for earache can be,

1. Infection of the ear canal outside the eardrum (otitis externa).

2. Eczema of the ear canal (seborrhoeic dermatitis).

3. New infection of the eardrum (acute otitis media).

4. Any dental or throat infections.

The cause for earache can be diagnosed only after a full ENT examination. Kindly request your doctor for a microscopic examination of your ear canal apart from an otoscopic examination as it provides a better magnification and one can visualize even the fine details. I hope this helps.

What are the best steps to aid healing of ear perforation?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a perforated right ear for more than two years. I do not want surgery. Also antibiotics did not work. What are the best steps to be taken?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An ear perforation (ruptured eardrum) can be safe or unsafe. An unsafe perforation has to be operated otherwise life is in danger. A safe perforation can be left unoperated and yet tried to achieve closure. If small perforation then body can heal it and close it if free o...  Read Full

Why is there some discomfort after using Q-tip?

Query: Hi doctor, When I was using Q-tips to clean my ears, I slipped and I may have gone a little too deep with one. I felt a little discomfort in my ear. That was three days ago and I still feel a little weird in that area. Could I have ruptured or punctured my eardrum? Is it important to go to an ear...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As reported there are high chances that you might have ruptured your tympanic membrane. Did your ear bleed after using Q-tip? If yes, then there are high chances of perforation in your ear. Please consult an ENT doctor as soon as possible. For further information consult ...  Read Full

I have ear pain with mild hearing loss and throat pain. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in my left ear with mild hearing loss. Sometimes I feel some sort of blocking sensation. Since two days, throat is also paining.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the details, you have given I understand that you have a throat infection for the past two days and you also have left earache and ear block. Also mild hearing loss on that side. This is most probably a resultant of the throat infection. There is a tube called e...  Read Full