Ruptured Eardrum

How long does a ruptured eardrum take to heal?

Query: Good morning, I am reaching out because I am at my wits end. I have messaged my pcp and no one is responding. And I’m just looking for a quick response to cal my nerves. For the past 2 weeks I’ve been having this weird sensation in my L ear. At first I though it was me hearing my pulse...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, As you are having Left ear tympanic perforation, you will feel discomfort but i want to tell you that most of the traumatic perforation (smaller to medium size) it will heal spontaneously. One of the important thing to take care is not to put any thing in ear as it can lead to ear infection(...  Read Full »

I am recovering from a ruptured eardrum. Can I travel in a train?

Query: Hello doctor, I am currently recovering from a ruptured eardrum due to a bacterial infection of my inner and middle ear. I am still oozing a little bit, mostly at night, but the pain has finally subsided. The pain was very bad for about a week. I have finished taking my Amoxicillin tablets, and now...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the channel tunnel that you would probably take is deep water, then it is best to avoid. Flight journeys and deep-sea pressures expose you to extreme changes of stress, which usually get compensated by a normal functioning eustachian tube. In your case, where you ...  Read Full »

Can otomycosis spread to the middle ear through perforated eardrum?

Query: Hello iCliniq team, I currently have otomycosis in my right ear (ear swab positive for a. niger), that perforated my eardrum 10 days ago. Current Symptoms: conductive hearing loss, tinnitus, ear pain has improved and is only sporadic now, no more drainage from middle ear, strange popping noises on ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, As per your concerns you don’t need oral anti fungal as it is improving, I would rather prefer a candibiotic ear drops as it will be more effective in both otomycosis and congestion of tympanic membrane. Chance of spread of otomycosis into the middle and inner ear is very rare, you do...  Read Full »

Can tinnitus, crackling noise, and popping due to ruptured eardrum resolve on its own?

Query: Hello doctor, I think I had an eardrum rapture over a month now. Still, I can feel tinnitus in my ear and crackling noises when swallowing. When I burp, I feel pressure in the affected ear only, and I think I have small hearing loss. When I blow my nose, the affected ear pops faster than the other....  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a high probability that you would have accidentally injured the eardrum while cleaning. This is a very common thing to happen, and you do not have to worry too much. The defect in the eardrum interferes with optimum sound transmission to the middle and inne...  Read Full »

How to treat a hole in the tympanic membrane?

Query: My ear tympanic membrane was damage or whole due to slaped my brother. Now what medicine i have to take for healing my ear drum or tympanic membrane. My age -24, sex-female,weight-55, hieght-5.6 inch  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! There is a high probability that you would have accidentally injured the ear drum due to trauna. This is a very common thing to happen and you don't have worry too much. The defect in the ear drum interferes with optimum sound transmission to the middle and inner ear and thereby you will have...  Read Full »

Will eardrum perforation due to barotrauma on using suction heal on its own?

Query: Hello doctor, I have otitis media induced perforation. Perforation is caused as well by barotrauma and by using suction mistakenly thinking as the earwax is causing discomfort. Does perforation of this size require surgical repair? Or will it heal on its own over time? See photos from the otoscop...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through the photos you send (attachment removed to protect patient identity). However, both the photos are not very clear and the tympanic membrane is not clearly visualized. There are various aspects we take into consideration before a patient is chosen as an i...  Read Full »

Even after years of eardrum surgery, why does my ear hurt when I am two feet under the water?

Query: About 4 years ago, I ruptured my eardrum and then had surgery. Now it’s fully healed but when I put my head just 2 feet under the water it hurts and I can’t dive or touch the bottom of a 10 foot pool without extreme pain. I haven’t tried to completely touch the bottom because it hu...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! Thanks for providing a quick history. The graft generally used to close the ear drum perforation is usually the temporalis fascia. Any graft for that matter isnt as robust as the natural ear drum and its tensile strength is never the same. There is a certain amount of pressure (both on the p...  Read Full »

I get yellow discharge from one of my ears with a weird sound. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, There is a fluid coming out on my left ear two days ago. I can clearly hear then and now the fluid is already yellowish but no odor. My ear feels very stuffy and I hear a weird sound. It becomes very itchy and sometimes it hurts. It was my habit to use cotton buds almost every day.  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like you have developed an infection as the fluid is yellowish now. I assume the layer in your ear which is called the tympanic membrane that seperates the outer ear from the middle ear might have ruptured. Usage of earbuds mostly is the reason. It requires urg...  Read Full »

I used a narrow rod to remove wax from ears with no improvement in hearing. Will it cause any harm?

Query: Hello doctor, I had put a narrow rod on my hear accidentally yesterday, it delivers more wax in my ear with red color and my hearing is not clear normally. I had not taken any treatment and any first aid for that.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a high probability that you would have accidentally injured the eardrum while cleaning. This is a very common thing to happen and you do not have to worry too much. The defect in the eardrum interferes with optimum sound transmission to the middle and inner ear...  Read Full »

Why do I have some discomfort after using a Q-tip?

Query: Hi doctor, When I was using Q-tips to clean my ears, I slipped and I may have gone a little too deep with one. I felt a little discomfort in my ear. That was three days ago and I still feel a little weird in that area. Could I have ruptured or punctured my eardrum? Is it important to go to an ear...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As reported there are high chances that you might have ruptured your tympanic membrane. Did your ear bleed after using Q-tip? If yes, then there are high chances of perforation in your ear. Please consult an ENT doctor as soon as possible. For further information consult ...  Read Full »