Ruptured Eardrum

I ruptured my ear drum a few years ago. Why does it hurt now?

Query: Hello doctor, Seven years ago, I ruptured my right eardrum. I recently went to my doctor because I lost some of my hearing, and I have been having pains in my right ear. My doctor told me that the ear drum healed but there is a lot of scarring on it. Why is my eardrum hurting if it is improved?  Read Full »

Dr. Surabhi Chopra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1) A ruptured eardrum, if not infected, is not a serious condition as it will usually heal by itself within 6 to 8 weeks. It is a skin-like structure, and it heals like a skin that is cut heals. In your case, you had a perforation in the eardrum seven years back, and...  Read Full »

Why is green fluid leaking from the ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I have hearing loss from childhood. I had an infection in both the ears four years before and got it treated with antibiotics and got well. But, within weeks, a fluid of light green and sometimes brown color started leaking from my ear often during the day and it was itching. The doct...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can have two of these conditions. This is what I can diagnose based on your history that you have given very well. Either chronic ear problem with a perforated eardrum or a fungal infection of the ear canal and drum. Perforation of the drum explains most of your...  Read Full »

I am recovering from a ruptured eardrum. Can I travel in a train?

Query: Hello doctor, I am currently recovering from a ruptured eardrum due to a bacterial infection of my inner and middle ear. I am still oozing a little bit, mostly at night, but the pain has finally subsided. The pain was very bad for about a week. I have finished taking my Amoxicillin tablets, and now...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the channel tunnel that you would probably take is deep water, then it is best to avoid. Flight journeys and deep-sea pressures expose you to extreme changes of stress, which usually get compensated by a normal functioning eustachian tube. In your case, where you ...  Read Full »

Can ruptured eardrum cause jaw pain and numbness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am currently trying to get over my seasonal sinus infection. However, after taking a nap a couple of days ago, I lost most hearing in my left ear. I went back to the urgent care and was told I had a ruptured eardrum. I was given drops to put in my ear. However, I cannot help but not...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have a ruptured drum, 1. Do not put ear drops. 2. Do not let water enter the ears. 3. Visit an ENT soon. 4. Assess the size of perforation. 5. Ask ENT if it will heal spontaneously. Some perforations are small and heal on their own in healthy individuals, b...  Read Full »

What are the advantages and disadvantages of eardrum surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter, 11 years old, has her eardrum damaged. I want to know the advantages and disadvantages of ear drum surgery.  Read Full »

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and here I would like to say that if your daughter is having an acute perforation of eardrum then that may heal by consecutive medical treatment. On the other hand, if it is a chronic perforation then surgery is the only treatment. Usually surg...  Read Full »

I have constant ear discharge after an eardrum surgery. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I have an eardrum perforation since childhood. I had tympanoplasty done last year but, that failed. Now, the ear keeps discharging all the time. I completed a course of Ciprofloxacin and Dexatops ear drops but after a week, the discharge is back. Please advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A recurrent ear discharge after a failed tympanoplasty needs to be evaluated completely. The causes can be a reservoir of infection in your mastoid bone, resistant organism, Eustachian tube dysfunction, etc. The permanent treatment is a revision tympanoplasty usually d...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for ruptured eardrum?

Query: Hi doctor, One of my family friend's son was slapped accidently by his friend, and his eardrum was punctured. Some doctors say that it can be healed by medicines and some say that it can be cured by surgery. Kindly advise the real picture as parents are worried a lot.  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Traumatic rupture of the drum usually heals by itself. It takes around three to four weeks for the healing to be visible and around three months for the healing to be complete. But in a few cases where drum does not heal up completely, or there is a residual ear ...  Read Full »

Are ear infection and constant ear pain indicative of any eardrum problem?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient had three tympanoplasty surgeries in the past, the most recent being a decade ago. She has 10 % hearing in one ear where surgery was performed. Recently, the patient developed an ear infection. Black and white fungus detected in the air. ENT used a micro-suction device to ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I need some details. Are the CT scan films those are attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) taken after the development of the latest problem or are those taken during the tympanometry surgery in the perioperative period? Do you have the details of...  Read Full »

Infection in left ear follwed by pain in right ear.

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 5 years old. Last month, we noticed that she had pain in her right ear and the thing continued for three to four days. On 5th, we noticed lots of wax in her right ear. It seemed to be pus. So, we took her to an ear specialist. After diagnosis, the doctor told us that he...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ear infections in children are very common. Children have a straight and wide eustachian tube that helps throat microbes to reach the ear easily and cause infection. So whenever she has a chest infection or throat pain or cold or flu, there are chances that her ears ...  Read Full »

Can you suggest an effective cure for my ear pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a headache along with congestion and confusion as well as an ear pain like if there is some pressure on it. I am not sure if this is an allergy like sinusitis because I barely have any other symptoms than I mentioned above. Sometimes, I feel a dry throat, but I think that...  Read Full »

Dr. Srinidhi Ravi

Allergy Specialist, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what you describe, it sounds like you may have an ear infection. In the initial stages of an ear infection, there will be severe ear pain, a feeling of blocked sensation in the ear, decreased hearing, fever and this usually happens along with a severe cold or si...  Read Full »