Q. Though I am on treatment for stomach pain, the pain persists. Why?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S
Published on Mar 19, 2017

I had severe back pain and stomach pain two days ago. I visited my family physician, and he prescribed me Omcar 40 mg along with other medicines. He advised me to take Omcar 40 mg in the empty stomach daily morning, but I took it after lunch and dinner by mistake. Since last 3 hours, I am suffering from severe stomach pain. Can you please guide me?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology
#

• Omeprazole (Omcar) and all other proton pump inhibitors are very safe medicines and can be taken for years without any side effect.
  • As you are having pain, antispasmodics like tablet Cibis (combination of Clidinium, Chlordiazepoxide, and Dicyclomine) can be taken thrice daily. Please request your gastroenterologist to prescribe Levosulpiride or Domperidone 30 mg once daily in combination with proton pump inhibitor. It will help you symptomatically in the long term.
  • Regarding diet, follow a high fiber diet, drink lots of cold milk and take lots of yogurt in food.
  • Avoid any fast food for a few months and no fried or spicy food.
  • Increase luke warm water intake. But, do not drink water during and after meals. Do not drink juices of citrus fruits like orange as it may increase acidity.
  • No smoking and alcohol and restrict tea and coffee. Try to eat a lot of fresh salad with vegetables and fruits.

For further doubts consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

Should I take Prevacid in the night for GERD?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with GERD six years ago. I have gained 10 pounds of weight and I started having phlegm in my throat. I am coughing more to get the phlegm out of my throat. I am currently taking Prevacid (over-the-counter) once a day in the morning. The phlegm and coughing does not seem ...  Read Full »

Can Omeprazole be used for gastritis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have suffered from gastritis-like symptoms for about a week now. I have an occasional mild tummy ache and nausea which is relieved by belching. I have suffered from acute gastritis now for several years, although I cannot be 100 % certain why. I tested positive for the h. pylori bacteri...  Read Full »

H. Pylori Infection - Diagnosis and Prevention

Article Overview: H. pylori infection is caused by Helicobacter pylori bacteria. It resides in the stomach tissues, causing ulcers, gastritis, and abdominal discomfort. This article discusses how this infection can be prevented from spreading. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

Helicobacter pylori is a bacteria that is commonly present in stomach lining causing ulcers. This infection is contagious and it spreads from one person to another due to poor maintenance of personal hygiene. It spreads through saliva and fecal contamination of food and water. Causes The stomach e...  Read Article