Q. Why am I having severe ear pain, three days after cold and cough?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Published on Jun 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2018

I am a 21 year old male, and I have pain in the ear from today afternoon. I do not have any liquid discharge from the ear, but the pain is increasing with passing time. At night, the pain is very intense.I can hear all voices clearly, but my ear is paining a lot. I do not understand the reason for the pain, as I have never experienced such a pain in my life.

What is the reason behind this tremendous pain? Is it an emergency? Please answer as soon as possible. I have already taken steam inhalation for this, but I did not get any relief.

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

Audiology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Your ear pain is probably due to a middle ear infection with Eustachian tube blockage. Did you suffer from any nasal congestion or throat infection in the recent past?

I suggest taking Paracetamol for pain and follow-up with the required information, so that I can suggest accordingly.

Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Yes, three days back, I suffered from severe cough and cold. The doctor said that I have an upper respiratory tract infection.

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

Audiology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I suggest you try taking the following:

1. A combination of Levocetirizine and Pseudoephedrine, three times a day.
  2. Xylometazoline nasal drops, three times a day.
  3. Take steam inhalation and chew gum, as it will also help decongest the tube.
  4. Paracetamol for pain.

Try taking all the medicines for a week. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Thanks and regards.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

My cough lasted only for a week and the doctor says it is tuberculosis.Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, There is parenchymal infiltrate on the right upper lobe of my lung. My doctor said that I have a ptb3, which looks like a serious stage of tuberculosis. I was shocked because I never had a cough since September. Before the month of September, my cough lasted only for a week and then su...  Read Full »

Can I take Combiflam for fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a fever and cold for the past three days. I am taking Calpol and Combiflam. How can I get cured?  Read Full »

I used cocaine and now I have cough and phlegm with itchiness in throat. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,I used cocaine for six months but for four months, I have coughs and phlegm especially in the morning. I never had throat pain. It just feels itchy. I saw a doctor who gave me allergy spray with Cortizon but I took it for just one month. I keep drinking alcohol and cold drinks which makes ...  Read Full »