Q. Do I need to visit a doctor for ear block issue?

Published on Jul 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I just tried an ear wax cleaner and it just completely blocked my ears. I am having an ear block issue even after swimming. Is there anything I can do at home? Or do I need to visit a doctor?

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

The wax has absorbed the cleaning fluid and got swollen blocking the ear canal. It is common.

The block is transient and you keep putting the drops as advised by the ENT doctor. Usually we put drops for 4 to 5 times daily for five to six days and then go back to the clinic for wax removal.

Wax drops are advised to make the wax softer and help remove the ear wax without pain and also to remove completely.

If you have not been advised by a doctor to use wax drops and you have self-medicated yourself, then it is better to consult an ENT doctor immediately as we do not know what exactly has caused the ear block.

Wax drops should not be used in the ears with otitis media (middle ear infection) or otitis externa (infection of the ear canal).

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

I have ear pain after removing ear wax. Is it serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from ear pain for the last two days and it has become really serious now. The entire right side of my face has gone numb and I am not able to hear properly in my right ear. I can listen to some hissing sound. I remember cleaning my ear with my fingers and tried to...  Read Full >>

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your symptoms and history of ear cleaning, it is suggestive of otitis externa with ear wax. Do not worry too much. It is a soft tissue infection of your ear canal most probably due to finger nail trauma. You need to take some medication and precautions and it ...  Read Full

How to Unclog your ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I woke up five days ago with clogging in my ears. Stupidly, I went with one of the first solutions I found online and poured hydrogen peroxide in my ear. It is now stuck in my ear canal and I cannot get it out. I have tried Swim-ear drops, ear candle, wax removal kit and shaking my hea...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How sure are you it is wax that caused the blocked ears? If you are absolutely sure, you can put the wax dissolving drops and, it will act on the wax, temporarily swell it and then dissolve it. Or, it will make the wax soft enough for easy removal by a doctor using...  Read Full

Is it safe to remove ear wax with earbuds?

Query: Hello doctor, I frequently use earbuds due to itching in my ears since many years. People say it is not good to use earbuds. Please suggest me what should I do when I suffer from itching inside the ear. How do I remove ear wax? I also have a problem in my throat like throat dryness and irritation i...  Read Full >>

Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The itching in your ear is very suggestive of a fungal infection in the ear canal. This is very common and the main symptom is itching. Impacted ear wax can also create itching along with a fungal infection. Since you use earbuds, you may have impacted wax too. So, I ...  Read Full