Q. Do I need to visit a doctor for ear block issue?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I just tried an ear wax cleaner and it just completely blocked my ears. I am having an ear block issue even after swimming. Is there anything I can do at home? Or do I need to visit a doctor?

#

The wax has absorbed the cleaning fluid and got swollen blocking the ear canal. It is common.

The block is transient and you keep putting the drops as advised by the ENT doctor. Usually we put drops for 4 to 5 times daily for five to six days and then go back to the clinic for wax removal.

Wax drops are advised to make the wax softer and help remove the ear wax without pain and also to remove completely.

If you have not been advised by a doctor to use wax drops and you have self-medicated yourself, then it is better to consult an ENT doctor immediately as we do not know what exactly has caused the ear block.

Wax drops should not be used in the ears with otitis media (middle ear infection) or otitis externa (infection of the ear canal).

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|