Q. I feel some noise inside my right ear and unable to hear properly. Why?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

I feel some sound is hearing from my right ear and unable to hear normally. I am facing this problem for the last few months. Please help.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I totally understand how frustrating a blocked ear can be. With the symptoms that you have, the most probable possibility would be having impacted wax. This can be extremely frustrating as it blocks the entire ear canal and can cause pain and decreased hearing.

You can consider the following advice:

Please stop using earbuds at any cost as it introduces new infection into the ear canal and can be the reason for an excruciating folliculitis. You can end up traumatizing the ear canal and eardrum, since cleaning your ear on your own is completely a blind technique. The wax which usually falls off on its own due to jaw moments gets further pushed inside the ear and can cause trouble.

Use Soliwax ear drops / ear wax dissolvent ear drops three times a day for five days. This will liquify any impacted ear wax and gradually subsides the pain and inflammation.

However, in a situation wherein you absolutely do not find any relief, it is best to get the retained impacted contents (wax) suctioned out under vision by visiting an ENT specialist. This is invariably required, as the wax dissolvent drops just liquefies the wax and does not remove it completely. Once this blob is removed, you will find immediate relief from the symptoms.

| 

I do not have any pain in the ear but some sort of insect murmuring sound I am hearing mildly. Is it fine to take any drops from medical nearby?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Yes, the most common of irritating sensation or feeling of something inside making weird noises could definitely be wax. If there was an insect the irritation would be lot worse and sometimes might even create pain as the insect can sting while trying to crawl out. Pure wax need not create pain in all patients.

Yes, it is absolutely safe for you to use wax dissolvent ear drops three times a day in the affected ear. Make sure you turn the head with the ear in concern facing the ceiling and apply these drops and keep the head tilted in this position for the next 5 to 8 minutes for the drops to act completely.

After three to four days, this blob has to be suctioned out under vision as wax dissolvent drops do not remove the wax but just liquefy it. Make sure you do not use anything else to liquify the wax as it can infect the canal or attract a fungal infection as well.

| 

I never used buds for cleaning my ears. I hope it is just wax formed in the ear. I believe it is not anything related to nerves. Because I am a little worried about this lockdown. I am not willing to go outside and searching for any hospital nearby.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

It is very unlikely that your nerves are involved in your case. There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about. It is better to take adequate precautions and visit a hospital after a while to get the contents suctioned out as it can accumulate and cause pain later. Do not worry too much about this.

|