Q. Why is there some discomfort after using Q-tip?

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane
Published on Jul 01, 2016

When I was using Q-tips to clean my ears, I slipped and I may have gone a little too deep with one. I felt a little discomfort in my ear. That was three days ago and I still feel a little weird in that area. Could I have ruptured or punctured my eardrum? Is it important to go to an ear doctor immediately?

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiology Speech Therapist
#

• As reported there are high chances that you might have ruptured your tympanic membrane.

For further information consult an audiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/audiologist

No, there was not any blood. What should I do? Is the damage permanent?

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiology Speech Therapist
#

• If there is no bleeding from ear, then still consult an ear specialist to clear the doubt.
  • Even if there is perforation it could be treated. Damage is not permanent in most of the cases and it could be cured.

For further doubts consult an audiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/audiologist

Why is green fluid leaking from the ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I have hearing loss from childhood. I had an infection in both the ears four years before and got it treated with antibiotics and got well. But, within weeks, a fluid of light green and sometimes brown color started leaking from my ear often during the day and it was itching. The doct...  Read Full »

Should I be concerned about my ear infection and perforated eardrum?

Query: Hi doctor, I was recently diagnosed with ear infection and a perforated eardrum. Initially, I was diagnosed with a viral respiratory infection and followed by ear infection in a two days. I have been taking antibiotics for three days now. I have a lot of fluid continuing to seep from my ear. How lon...  Read Full »

Ask an Audiologist Now