Q. My 2-year-old kid has dental caries with brown spots on front four teeth. What to do?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

I think my 21-month-old kid might have dental caries. I think my daughter has an early childhood caries. She has brown spots in the front four teeth at the back and a hole on one front tooth. We brush her teeth twice daily so I have no idea how this has happened.

#

The picture you have sent is not clear (attachment removed to protect patient identity), but yes early childhood caries is common in infants.

I understand your concern because you are taking good care by brushing twice. For now, I will suggest the following.

1. If she sleeps with a bottle in mouth, you must be careful to remove her bottle and get her mouth rinsed at least with plain water only.

2. Do rinse her mouth regularly with water after she has taken candies or any food, rinsing mouth thoroughly is a good habit, make her develop this habit.

3. Notice and inform me if she has comparatively has less saliva if her oral cavity is sticky in touch.

4. Rest all is fine and these are common in infants so nothing much to worry for caries, as soon as Corona effect are decreased get her cavity filled.

Do send me a clear picture if possible.

| 

Is there anything I can do to stop it from spreading?

#

I saw the pictures, this may be a stain or initial caries. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Brush her teeth properly yet smoothly, stains many a times go away after proper brushing. If possible brush twice daily must brush after night meal. This along with regular rinsing is the only method, for now, to stop the infection from growing or if it is a stain you will surely notice the changes i.e decrease in the stained area.

| 

Can I brush my teeth after wisdom tooth removal?

Query: Hello doctor, I just got all four of my wisdom teeth removed last week. I was looking at my back teeth, both top and bottom. On all the four teeth, at the very back of my mouth, just front of where the wisdom teeth were, I noticed what appears to be brown hairline-looking marks in the pits and on th...  Read Full »

My 2 year old daughter has some problem in her front teeth. Please give your suggestion.

Query: Hi doctor, My 2 year old baby girl has some problem in her four teeth. Both the upper and lower front teeth is paining now. Please give your suggestion. What can we do now?  Read Full »

My 14 months old son's top four teeth look rough and are crumbling. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a very concerned father of a 14 months old boy. His first six teeth came in, but the top four teeth look quite rough and are crumbling. His bottom two teeth seem fine. He is still almost exclusively breastfed, as he does not like to eat food, and seldom opens his mouth. I believe...  Read Full »