Q. My 2-year-old kid has dental caries with brown spots on front four teeth. What to do?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

I think my 21-month-old kid might have dental caries. I think my daughter has an early childhood caries. She has brown spots in the front four teeth at the back and a hole on one front tooth. We brush her teeth twice daily so I have no idea how this has happened.

#

The picture you have sent is not clear (attachment removed to protect patient identity), but yes early childhood caries is common in infants.

I understand your concern because you are taking good care by brushing twice. For now, I will suggest the following.

1. If she sleeps with a bottle in mouth, you must be careful to remove her bottle and get her mouth rinsed at least with plain water only.

2. Do rinse her mouth regularly with water after she has taken candies or any food, rinsing mouth thoroughly is a good habit, make her develop this habit.

3. Notice and inform me if she has comparatively has less saliva if her oral cavity is sticky in touch.

4. Rest all is fine and these are common in infants so nothing much to worry for caries, as soon as Corona effect are decreased get her cavity filled.

Do send me a clear picture if possible.

Is there anything I can do to stop it from spreading?

#

I saw the pictures, this may be a stain or initial caries. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Brush her teeth properly yet smoothly, stains many a times go away after proper brushing. If possible brush twice daily must brush after night meal. This along with regular rinsing is the only method, for now, to stop the infection from growing or if it is a stain you will surely notice the changes i.e decrease in the stained area.

|