Q. What causes brown colored spit after brushing teeth?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

I have not brushed my teeth in a while due to being incredibly busy, I am going to start taking my toothbrush with me. But anyways, I have some gaps in between my teeth and when I spit out after brushing my teeth there’s a bit of brown liquid in there. I do not know if that is just food or anything but I have not found anything else unusual.

#

I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. Firstly, the brownish colour every time you spit out after brushing could be the food debris along with some bleeding of gums. This is because of the white chalky substance layered on to the tooth surfaces on the gum lines which I had noticed in the picture you sent. These are cleanable and needs professional clean up from the dentist.Just simple brushing will not help get rid of it.

Secondly please do not give excuses for not brushing your teeth. It is incredibly as important as you eat food everyday for your little tummy. Mouth is the starting point for digestion and only when you do not have a clean mouth, you automatically flush in all the bacteria into the stomach with every food. Plus any food debris which are not cleaned up stay in between the teeth and cause tooth decays as well. You have mentioned that you had a filling, which confirms that you had a decayed tooth. So kindly follow your brushing habits as a routine every morning and night with a pea sized neutral toothpaste.

Thirdly coming to the gaps between your front teeth, it is just the way your permanent teeth has erupted and nothing to do with the gum bleeding or not brushing, etc. It can be easily corrected with braces when you are much concerned on the looks. Otherwise your teeth looks healthy and you are completely alright (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

|